Get a full understanding of lesbian mental health concerns!
Mental Health Issues for Sexual Minority Women: Redefining Women's Mental Health presents much-needed research on sexual orientation and sexual minority populations missing from most mental health studies. This unique book identifies three areas of concern voiced in a 1999 Institute of Medicine report on lesbian health: whether lesbians are at a higher risk of mental health problems; the need for a better understanding of lesbian orientation and diversity in the lesbian population; and the need to eliminate barriers to mental health care services for lesbians. Mental Health Issues for Sexual Minority Women addresses those concerns with theoretical and empirical work that represents a broad range of disciplines and cultures.
Mental Health Issues for Sexual Minority Women covers a unique and diverse range of topics missing from most books on lesbian health. The book includes original research on issues such as:
- body image and attitudes toward eating and dieting
- relationship satisfaction and conflicts
- substance use and sexual victimization
- risk factors for psychological distress among African-American lesbians
- and much more!
Table of Contents
- Traumatic Victimization in the Lives of Lesbian and Bisexual Women: A Contextual Approach
- The Effects of Sexual Orientation on Body Image and Attitudes About Eating and Weight
- No Reflection in the Mirror: Challenges for Disabled Lesbians Accessing Mental Health Services
- Psychological Distress in African American Lesbian and Heterosexual Women
- Self-Reported Sexual Identity, Sexual Behaviors, and Health Risks: Examples from a Population-Based Survey of Young Women
- Identity, Stigma Management, and Well-Being: A Comparison of Lesbians/Bisexual Women and Gay/Bisexual Men
- A Comparative Study of Lesbian and Heterosexual Women in Committed Relationships
- Internalized Homophobia in Lesbians
- Sexual Minorities Seeking Services: A Retrospective Study of the Mental Health Concerns of Lesbian and Bisexual Women
- Reference Notes Included