Migrants, Minorities, and the Media Information, representations, and participation in the public sphere
The media inform the public, help political and social actors communicate with each other, influence perceptions of pressing issues, depict topics and people in particular ways, and may shape political views and participation. Given these critical functions that the media play in society, this book asks how the media represent migrants and minorities. What information do the media communicate about them? What are the implications of media coverage for participation in the public sphere?
In the past, researchers studying migrants and minorities have rarely engaged in systematic media analysis. This volume advances analytical strategies focused on information, representation, and participation to examine the media, migrants, and minorities, and it offers a set of compelling original analyses of multiple minority groups from countries in Europe, North America, and East Asia, considering both traditional newspapers and new social media. The contributors analyze the framing and type of information that the media provide about particular groups or about issues related to migration and diversity; they examine how the media convey or construct particular depictions of minorities and immigrants, including negative portrayals; and they interrogate whether and how the media provide space for minorities’ participation in a public sphere where they can advance their interests and identities. This book was originally published as a special issue of the Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies.
1. Migrants, Minorities and the Media: Information, Representations and Participation in the Public Sphere Erik Bleich, Irene Bloemraad and Els de Graauw
2. Immigrants in the Media: Civic Visibility in the USA and Canada Irene Bloemraad, Els de Graauw and Rebecca Hamlin
3. An Emerging ‘European’ News Portrayal of Immigration? Alexander Caviedes
4. Local and National Accounts of Immigration Framing in a Cross-national Perspective Andrea Lawlor
5. Media Portrayals of Minorities: Muslims in British Newspaper Headlines, 2001-2012 Erik Bleich, Hannah Stonebraker, Hasher Nisar and Rana Abdelhamid
6. Racial Mediation in the Coverage of Candidates’ Political Viability: A Comparison of Approaches Erin Tolley
7. Debating Multicultural Korea: Media Discourse on Migrants and Minorities in South Korea Joseph Yi and Gowoon Jung