Motivation and literacy go hand in hand in this practical book of strategies for classroom teachers. It provides effective tips and tools to motivate and grasp the attention of even the most reluctant readers. With numerous classroom examples, case studies, and blackline masters, this book will help you to boost motivation and literacy in your classroom right away.
Motivating Every Student in Literacy (Including the Highly Unmotivated!), Grades 3-6 provides an effective model for improving reading levels and increasing motivation. Under the guidance of Athans and Devine, classroom leaders develop their own Motivation Improvement Action Plans, where small-group instruction, end-of-unit assessments, and other practical approaches work to increase individual student effort. Woven throughout are process-driven and novelty strategies to address possible reasons for a child's lack of motivation. In this guide, you'll find:
1. Why Motivation and Literacy?
2. Our Research Findings on Motivation
3. Delving into Our Students' Habits
4. Integrated Ways to Boost Reading
5. Motivation Improvement: Quick-Fix and Gotcha Strategies
6. Pervasive Problems
7. Frequently Asked Questions
8. Appendix A - Case Study Outcomes: How We Motivated These Students
9. Appendix B - Motivation Tools