Apple Academic Press
512 pages | 12 Color Illus. | 72 B/W Illus.
This new volume, Nanocarriers for Brain Targeting: Principles and Applications, covers recent research on brain physiology and the development of drug delivery systems. It explores a diverse variety of strategies that can be employed to achieve drug targeting to the brain. The nanocarriers that are discussed include nanoparticles, vesicular carriers, carriers having carbon as a core constituent, dispersed systems, and more.
The inherent anatomy and physiology of the brain renders it different from other organs. The past few decades have witnessed significant research on brain ailments in response to a majority of hospitalizations that occur due to age-related central nervous system disorders. The prevalence of diverse diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, multiple sclerosis, HIV-dementia, etc., affect about 1.5 billion people globally, which is further anticipated to reach 1.9 billion by the year 2020. Nanocarriers for drug delivery to the brain are seen as one of the answers to this growing problem.
Part 1: Introduction To Carriers In Brain Targeting
1. Carriers for Brain Targeting: Recent Advances and Challenges
Md. Sahab Uddin and Mst. Marium Begum
2. The Blood-Brain Barrier and Advanced Carriers for Brain Drug Delivery and Targeting
Ali Sadeghinia et al.
3. Nanotechnology for Brain Targeting
Debjani Banerjee, Huma Shamshad, and Nidhi Mishra
4. Nanocarriers for Brain Targeting: An Overview
B. A. Aderibigbe, I. A. Aderibigbe, and A. P. I Popoola
5. Natural Biopolymeric Nanoformulations for Brain Drug Delivery
Josef Jampílek and Katarína Kráľová
Part 2: Particulate Carriers
6. Nanoparticulate Drug Delivery Systems for Brain Targeting
Emil Joseph, Gautam Singhvi, and Saswata Banerjee
7. Nanocapsules in Brain Targeting
Soumya Nair and Jayanthi Abraham
8. Solid Lipid Nanoparticles for Brain Targeting
M. M. De Araujo et al.
9. An Introductory Note on Quantum Dots for Brain Targeting
10. Graphene for Brain Targeting
S. J. Owonubi et al.
Part 3: Vesicular Carriers
11. A Brief Account of Liposomes for Brain Delivery
D. B. Borin and R. C. V. Santos
12. Liposomal Drug Carriers: Principles, Formulation Perspectives, and Potentials for Brain Drug Delivery
Juliana Palma Abriata et al.
13. Niosomes for Brain Targeting
Didem Ag Seleci et al.
Part 4: Other Issues
14. Nanoemulsions for Brain Targeting
Khushwinder Kaur and Shivani Uppal
15. Nanogels for Brain Targeting: Introduction, Formulation Aspects, and Applications
Nagarjun Rangaraj and Sunitha Sampathi
16. Applications of Nanocarriers in Emerging and Re-Emerging CNS Tropical Infections
S. Yasri and V. Wiwanitkit