Nutraceuticals and Dietary Supplements
Applications in Health Improvement and Disease Management
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after November 6, 2020
Addressing the increasing popularity of nutraceuticals, dietary supplements, and functional foods, this comprehensive and timely book presents an abundance of information on herbal products and their applications. The chapter authors—highly skilled, experienced, and renowned scientists and researchers from around the globe—offer up-to-date knowledge on the uses of herbal products in health management, in cancer treatment, in mental health therapy, and more.
Nutraceuticals and Dietary Supplements: Advances and Applications begins with an introduction, the nomenclature, and characteristics of nutraceuticals and goes on to discuss in-depth applications for specific health issues, including cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, alcoholism, and more. It also looks at the pros and cons as well as the analytical techniques used for the production of nutraceuticals. Chapters cover market size, regulatory perspectives, manufacturing, and in silico drug design. The book incorporates a wide diversity of case studies, research, and theories pertaining to natural products employed by developers and content experts in the field.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Preamble of Nutraceuticals and Formulations
1. Functional Foods
José M. Lorenzo et al.
2. Nutraceutical Bioactives
Andrew G. Mtewa et al.
3. Introduction to Nutraceutical and Dietary Supplements
Bhushan R. Rane and Raj K. Keservani
4. Herbs in Health Management
Kapil Kumar and Rajan Kaushik
5. Starch-Based Nanocarriers of Nutraceuticals: Synthesis and Applications
Alberto A. Escobar-Puentes, Adriana García-Gurrola, and Fernando Martínez-Bustos
Part 2: Role of Nutraceuticals in Cancer Treatment
6. Study of Nutraceuticals in Cancer Treatment: An in Silico Approach
7. Nutraceuticals in Cancer Therapy
Andrew G. Mtewa et al.
Part 3: Nutraceuticals and Mental Illness
8. Exploration of Nano-Nutraceuticals in Neurodegenerative Diseases
Swati Pund, Amita Joshi, and Vandana Patravale
9. Preclinical Perspectives of Mechanisms Underlying the Neuroprotective Effects of Selected Phyto-Constituents in Alzheimer's Disease
Marco Cascella et al.
Part 4: Specialized Applications Of Nutraceuticals
10. The Science behind Maca, a Traditional Crop from the Central Andes
Gustavo F. Gonzales, Cinthya Vasquez-Velasquez, and Dulce Esperanza Alarcón-Yaquetto
11. Nutraceutical Intervention for Treatment of Alcoholism/Drinking Problem
Charu Gupta and Dhan Prakash
12. Beta Cells and Diabetes
Shivani Srivastava et al.
Raj K. Keservani, MPharm, is in the Faculty of B. Pharmacy, CSM Group of Institutions, Allahabad, India.
Anil K. Sharma, PhD, MPharm, is working as an assistant professor at the Department of Pharmacy, School of Medical and Allied Sciences, GD Goenka University, Gurugram, India.
Rajesh K. Kesharwani, PhD, is affiliated with the Department of Advanced Science & Technology, NIET, Nims University Rajasthan, Jaipur, India.