Learn Role Development techniques to provide more effective therapy to schizophrenic clients!
Occupational Therapy in Forensic Psychiatry: Role Development and Schizophrenia presents a set of guidelines for clinical practice in Role Development. Role Development is a treatment intervention designed to assist individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia in developing social roles, task skills, and interpersonal skills. The book provides concrete, practical suggestions for using Role Develpoment with clients. These guidelines are thoroughly described as are methods for implementing treatment.
With the resources provided in Occupational Therapy in Forensic Psychiatry, OT clinicians will have the tools and information to understand Role Development, to conduct evaluations, and to plan and implement treatment using the set of guidelines. The book describes a reseach study from a maximum-security psychiatric facility. Participants in the study had an extensive psychiatric history as well as criminal charges. Most no longer had active social roles but viewed their roles as patient or inmate. The intervention, Role Development, was successful in assisting them to develop roles such as worker, student, friend, and group member. Despite their very difficult life circumstances and serious mental illness, the participants responded very positively and demonstrated a willingness and ability to develop social roles, and the skills that are the foundation to the roles. Tables and figures highlight the results of the study.
In Occupational Therapy in Forensic Psychiatry, you’ll find:
- a set of guidelines for practicing Role Development
- a research study documenting the effectiveness of Role Development
- tables and figures highlighting the results of the research study
- practical tools, resources, and methods to implement Role Development
- case studies demonstrating the application of Role Development
- and much more!
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1. Introduction: Social Roles and Schizophrenia in Forensic Psychiatry
- Chapter 2. Typical Development of Roles and the Impact of Schizophrenia on the Development of Adult Social Roles
- Chapter 3. Role Development: Treatment Guidelines
- Chapter 4. Implementing Role Development: Tools and Resources
- Chapter 5. Designing an Outcomes-Based Research Study to Assess the Development of Roles in Adults Diagnosed with Schizophrenia
- Chapter 6. Evaluating the Effectiveness of Role Development: Quantitative Data
- Chapter 7. Evaluating the Effectiveness of Role Development: Qualitative Data
- Chapter 8. Case Studies
- Chapter 9. Response of the Rehabilitation Staff to Role Development
- Chapter 10. An Analysis of the Effectiveness of the Intervention
- Appendix A
- Appendix B