On the Nude
Looking Anew at the Naked Body in Art
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after December 13, 2021
This book provides a timely reappraisal of one of the most enduring subjects in the history of art – the naked body.
Beginning with reflections on what denuding entails and means, the volume then shifts to a consideration of body politics in the context of Black political empowerment, disability, and queer and Indigenous politics of representation. Themes including the animal nude, the male nude, and nudity in childhood are also considered. The final section examines the nude from the perspective of the artist and the artist’s model.
The book will be of interest to scholars working in art history, comparative literature, cultural studies, gender studies, queer studies, screen studies, and trans studies.
Table of Contents
- On the Nude: Addressing Old and New Perspectives
- The Dagenham Idol : A Neolithic Wooden Figurine Denuded
- Poking Out "the Soft Part": The Raw and the Cooked Body in Peter Greenaway’s The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
- Discursive Blurring in Representations of Classical Rapes and Abductions
- Writing & Nudity: Nelly Arcan and Vanessa Beecroft’s Girls
- Images of Solace: Looking Beyond Violence in Cassils’s Art
- S[H]E: Black Body Politics and Gender
- Un-shaming the Greenlandic Female Body: The Indigenous Nude in Performance Art
- Watching One’s Back: Self-Portraits of Disabled Women’s Backs as Provocative and Protective
- Nan Goldin’s Sag Harbor Pictures
- Creating a Space and a (Visual) Language in the Work of Laura Aguilar
- The Animal Nude: Pony Play and Deborah Bright’s Being & Riding Valérie Bienvenue and Nicholas Chare
- Queeriosity: Does Hair Have a Gender? Around Del LaGrace Volcano, Daniela Comani, Katarzyna Kozyra, Ana Mendieta, and Cindy Sherman
- Art, Aesthetics and Male Genitalia
- Imperfect Beauty: Nudity, Classicism, Race, and Homoerotic Desire in the Male Nudes of George Dureau
- A Short Story About a Big Healing (Extracts)
- Looking Beyond the Image: Cassils in Conversation with Nicholas Chare and Ersy Contogouris
- Ways of Connecting with the Secret World behind the Life Model: Sarah R. Phillips in Conversation with Nicholas Chare and Ersy Contogouris
- Notes Introducing ‘(Unfinished) Soliloquy of a Nude’
- (Unfinished) Soliloquy of a Nude
Nicholas Chare and Ersy Contogouris
Part 1: On Denuding
Nicholas Chare and Nathanael Price
Part 2: Body Politics and the Nude
I. Milan Cail
Lisa E. Farrington
Part 3: Photography and the Nude
Ann Marie Leimer
Part 4: The Male Nude
Part 5: On Being Nude
Sarah R. Phillips
Kathleen G. Williamson
Nicholas Chare is Professor of Modern Art at the Université de Montréal, Canada.
Ersy Contogouris is Assistant Professor of Art History at the Université de Montréal, Canada.