Used throughout the United States and many other countries, the National Electric Code (NEC) is the world’s most detailed set of electrical codes pertaining to photovoltaic (PV) systems.
Photovoltaic Systems and the National Electric Code presents a straightforward explanation of the NEC in everyday language. The new book is based on the 2017 NEC, which will be used widely until 2023, with most of the interpretations and material staying true long after. This book interprets the distinct differences between previous versions of the NEC and the 2017 NEC and clarifies how these Code changes relate specifically to photovoltaic installations.
Written by two of the leading authorities and educators in the field, this book will be a vital resource for solar professionals, as well as anyone preparing for a solar certification exam.
"I have had the opportunity to get to know Bill over the past several electrical code cycles and he is a key driver in developing and improving the NEC for solar PV systems. This book that he and Sean have put together is a helpful addition to any library of resources for understanding the NEC requirements related to solar PV systems." -- Mike Holt, NEC Expert, USA
"Bill Brooks' and Sean White's version of the NEC Handbook…The authors break down the code with historical context, using their decades of experience developing standards and educating contractors and inspectors. An expert's complement to the code book!"-- Anna Bautista, Vice President, Construction & Workforce Development, GRID Alternatives, USA
Praise for the authors:
"Very few people have Bill’s breadth of knowledge and understanding of PV-related codes and standards…His tireless work has improved the knowledge and understanding of proper installations for PV systems…. I have known Dr. Sean White for more than 7 years. I have participated in and attended several of Sean’s courses taught at photovoltaic conferences, and he excels at presenting complicated topics in a clear and concise manner to a diverse audience." -- Ward Bower, Inventor of Grid-Tied Inverter at Sandia Labs 1977, NEC Code Making Panel 4, USA
1. Article 690, Part I, General
2. Article 690, Part II, Circuit Requirements
3. Article 690, Part II, Rapid Shutdown of PV Arrays
4. Article 690, Part III, Disconnecting Means
5. Article 690, Part IV, Wiring Methods
6. Article 690, Part V, Grounding and Bonding
7. Article 690, Part VI, Marking
8. Article 690, Other Parts of 690
9. Article 691 Large Scale PV Power Electric Production Facilities
10. Section 705.12, Point of Connection
11. Article 705 Sections other than 705.12
12. Article 706, Energy Storage Systems
13. Article 710, Stand Alone Systems
14. Article 712, Direct Current Microgrids
15. Other PV Related NEC Material
16. Wire Sizing Calculations