Would you want to be a student in your own classroom? In Passionate Learners: How to Engage and Empower Your Students, author Pernille Ripp challenges both novice and seasoned teachers to create a positive, interactive learning environment where students drive their own academic achievement. You’ll discover how to make fundamental changes to your classroom so learning becomes an exciting challenge rather than a frustrating ordeal. Based on the author’s personal experience of transforming her approach to teaching, this book outlines how to:
• Build a working relationship with your students based on mutual trust, respect, and appreciation.
• Be attentive to your students’ needs and share ownership of the classroom with them.
• Break out of the vicious cycle of punishment and reward to control student behaviour.
• Use innovative and creative lesson plans to get your students to become more engaged and intellectually-invested learners, while still meeting your state standards.
• Limit homework and abandon traditional grading so that your students can make the most of their learning experiences without unnecessary stress.
• And much more!
New to the second edition, you’ll find practical tools, such as teacher and student reflection sheets, parent questionnaires, and parent conference tools--available in the book and as eResources on our website (http://www.routledge.com/9781138916920)—to help you build your own classroom of passionate learners.
"Creating passion-infused learning environments where students are allowed to discover and have learning opportunities beyond the classroom is a best-practice pedagogy that is slowly but surely finding its way into classrooms. Pernille Ripp is at the forefront of this movement. I hope educators will give this book a chance as it gives ALL students the opportunity to be the driving force behind their own education."
--Joli Barker, 5th Grade Teacher, Press Elementary, McKinney, TX and Author of The Fearless Classroom
"All teachers gather "best practices," whether through training or time. But these techniques don't always work as planned. Pernille re-examines the common habits of the classroom and reveals new, more productive ways of cultivating passionate learners. From grades to school culture, she shows that nothing is free from critique when you fight for students."
--Angela Maiers, Educator, Author, Founder of Choose2Matter
"This book is an excellent guide to transforming your classroom culture and letting students take ownership of their learning. Pernille Ripp offers practical tools that will help all educators create a positive and innovative learning environment for their students."
--Todd Whitaker, Professor at Indiana State University, internationally-recognized education expert, and author of over 40 books, including What Connected Educators Do Differently
About The Author
Introduction: Learning to Break the Rules
1. Now Wait Just a Minute, Mr. Wong
2. Would You Like Being a Student in Your Own Classroom?
3. So You Got the Job. Now What?
4. It’s Not How Your Classroom Looks, It’s How it Feels
5. The First Day of School: Who’s In Charge?
6. Where I Give the Classroom Back to My Students
7. Letting Go of the Punish, Behave, Reward Cycle
8. Common or Not - The Standards Are Always There
9. Homework, Routines, and a Whole Lot of Paper
10. How Grading Destroys Curiosity
11. When Change Happens to Good Teachers