Photosynthesis and Respiratory Cycles during Environmental Stress Response in Plants
This new volume aims to be the single source that discusses in a comprehensive and elaborate way the photosynthetic and respiratory mechanisms in plants under hostile situations and the proper mitigating strategies to continue uninterrupted photosynthesis and respiration under such situations. Photosynthesis and respiration are the two main physiological processes for sugar biosynthesis and mobilization for driving all other vital functions. This volume delivers a wealth of sound information on these processes for scientists, researchers, and academicians.
With chapters from renowned scientists, researchers, and global leaders, this volume focuses on the effect of environmental stressors on photosynthetic pigments, photosystems, activities of photosynthetic enzymes and protein complexes, PSII photochemistry, carbon fixation pathways, photosynthetic efficiency, glycolytic and Krebs cycle pathways, and ATP production and electron transport chain of plants. The recovery of photosynthesis and respiration through application of phytohormones, signaling molecules, and other protective agents are also emphasized. Genetic engineering to enhance photosynthetic efficiency is highlighted as well.
1. Introduction to Plant Responses to Environmental Stress
Preetha Bhadra, Sagar Maitra, and Masina Sairam
2. Abiotic Stress-Mediated Regulation of Photosynthesis and Modulations in Photosynthetic Apparatus: Impact on Photosynthetic Genes and Enzyme Functioning
Awatif M. Abdulmajeed, Sameer H. Qari, et al.
3. Redesigning Plant Photosynthesis Using High-Throughput Techniques for Enhanced and Sustainable Food Production under Environmental Stresses
Syed Sarfraz Hussain, Muhammad Irfan, Abdul Qayyum Rao, et al.
4. Light-Harvesting Antenna Complex and Its Role in Environmental Stress
Sudip Choudhury, Sunayana Goswami, Anuradha Roy Choudhury, et al.
5. Role of C3 Cycle Genes and Enzymes in Overcoming Environmental Stress
Monika Bansal and Shabir H Wani
6. RuBisCo Activase as a Response to Environmental Stress in Plants
Sanchayita Rajkhowa, Biswajit Bose, Jyotirmoy Sarma, et al.
7. Photosynthetic Response of Crop Plants Under UV Stress
T. T. Dhanya Thomas, K. P. Aswathi Raj, M. S. Amritha, et al.
8. C4 and CAM Plants with Better Resilience to Environmental Stresses
Wasifa Hafiz Shah, Seerat Saleem, Naveed Ul Mushtaq, et al.
9. Genetic Engineering of C4 Pathway in C3 Plants to Improve Stress Tolerance
L. Jeyanthi Rebecca and Eiji Hirasawa
10. Phytohormones and Antioxidants in the Improvement of Photosynthesis and Respiration under Environmental Stress
Allah Nawaz, Naqshe Zuhra, Muhammad Ashar Ayub, et al.
11. Regulation of Mitochondrial Respiration during Salt Stress
Naveed Ul Mushtaq, Seerat Saleem, Aadil Rasool, et al.
12. Consequences of Oxidative Stress on Glycolysis and Krebs Cycle
Kolluru Viswanatha Chaitanya and Challa Surekha
13. Regulation of Glycolysis and Krebs Cycle during Biotic and Abiotic Stresses
Somali Dhal and Harshata Pal
14. Modulation of TCA Cycle and Enzymes During Different Environmental Stresses
Sudip Kumar Mandal, Debajyoti Mukherjee, Sindhujit Roy, et al.
15. Stress Signaling Dynamics of Mitochondrial Electron Transport Chain and Oxidative Phosphorylation in Plants
Atasi Routray, Sharbani Bahali, Suchismita Prusty, et al.
16. Protective Chemicals and Metabolites in Stabilizing Photosynthesis and Respiration Machinery during Abiotic Stresses
Ankur Singh and Aryadeep Roychoudhury
17. Carbon Concentration Mechanism during Environmental Stress in Plants
Lopamudra Nayak, Sarangadhar Nayak, Awadhesh Kumar, et al.