Updated to reflect the latest scientific advances and technologies in the diagnosis and treatment of pleural diseases, this new Second Edition explores the structure and function of these diseases and malignancies, from tuberculosis and asbestos to pleurisy and pneumothorax. Edited by leading international authorities in pulmonary medicine, this comprehensive guide is an invaluable resource for pulmonologists, radiologists, and critical care physicians.
Pleural Disease, Second Edition highlights:
- molecular and diagnostic approaches
- interventional applications, including pleural thoracentesis and closed biopsy, chest tube insertion, pleural lavage, medical thoracoscopy, and VATS
- biomarkers and proteomics
- translational medicine approaches, new treatment methodologies, and clinical manifestations
- various diagnostic tests and the importance of clinical evaluation in the differential diagnosis of a pleural effusion
- new surgical and non-surgical techniques to identify and diagnose pleural diseases, including: medical thoracoscopy, pleural lavage, intrapleural fibrinolytics, image-guided
- small bore catheters, video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS), pleuroperitoneal shunt, and extrapleural pneumonectomy
Table of Contents
Physiology of the Pleura. Pathophysiology of the Pleura. Respiratory Function in Pleural Effusion. Imaging of the Pleura. Ultrasonography of the Pleura. Diagnostic Thoracocentesis and Biopsy. Chest Tubes. Interventional Radiology of Pleural Disease. Medical Thoracoscopy. Therapeutic Use of Thoracoscopy for Pleural Diseases. Pleurodesis. Translational Research in Pleural Diseases. Clinical Evaluation of the Patient with a Pleural Effusion. Discrimination Between Transudative and Exudative Pleural Effusions: Evaluating Diagnostic Tests in the Pleural Space. Transudative Pleural Effusions. Management of the Undiagnosed Persistent Pleural Effusion. Drug-Induced Pleural Involvement. Parapneumonic Pleural Effusions and Empyema. Medical Thoracoscopy in the Management of Parapneumonic Pleural Effusions and Empyema. Postsurgical Pleural Infection. Surgical Management of Empyema. Tuberculous Pleuritis. Pleural Effusions Secondary to Fungal, Nocardial, and Actinomycotic Infection. Malignant Pleural Effusions. Diagnosis and Management of Pleural Effusion in Lung Cancer. Benign Tumors of the Pleura. Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Extrapleural Pneumonectomy for Early-Stage Diffuse Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Benign Asbestos–Related Pleural Disease. Pleural Manifestations of Interstitial Lung Disease. Immunological Diseases of the Pleura. Pleural Effusions in Blood Diseases. Pleural Effusions in HIV. Pleural Effusions in Cardiac Disease. Pleural Effusions in Pregnancy and Gynecological Diseases. Pleural Effusions in the Intensive Care Unit. Pleural Effusions in Gastrointestinal Tract Diseases. Pleural Effusions in Pulmonary Embolism. Pleural Effusions in Children. Pneumothorax .Hemothorax. Chylothorax and Pseudochylothorax. The Pleural Space and Organ Transplantation. Pleural Disease as a Complication of Radiotherapy and Radiofrequency Ablation. Iatrogenic and Rare Pleural Effusions.