Politics in the Republic of Ireland is now available in a fully revised sixth edition. Building on the success of the previous five editions, it continues to provide an authoritative introduction to all aspects of the government and politics in the Republic of Ireland.
Written by some of the foremost experts on Irish politics, it explains, analyses and interprets the background to Irish government and contemporary political processes. It devotes chapters to every aspect of contemporary Irish government and politics, including the political parties and elections, the constitution, the Taoiseach and the governmental system, women and politics, the role of parliament, and Ireland’s place within the European Union.
Bringing students up to date with the very latest developments, especially with the upheaval in the Irish party system, Coakley and Gallagher combine substance with a highly readable style, providing an accessible textbook that meets the needs of all those who are interested in knowing how politics and government operate in Ireland.
"Quite simply this is the best introduction to modern Irish politics that has ever been produced. The editors have assembled an impressive cast of the relevant experts on all the expected themes. Now in its sixth edition this book just keeps getting better and better."
Paul Mitchell, London School of Economics, UK
"Politics in the Republic of Ireland is the place to start for an understanding of Irish politics. This lively new up-to-date 6th edition confirms the book’s place at the top of any reading list."
R. Kenneth Carty, University of British Columbia, Canada
"This is the most comprehensive, authoritative and insightful guide to the Irish political system and the forces which shape it. There is, quite simply, no better textbook on Irish politics. No student or scholar of contemporary Ireland should be without a copy."
Mary C. Murphy, University College Cork, Ireland
Part I: The Context of Irish Politics
1. The Foundations of Statehood [John Coakley]
2. Society and Political Culture [John Coakley]
3. Politics, the Constitution and the Judiciary [Michael Gallagher]
Part II: Representative Democracy at Work
4. The Electoral System [David M. Farrell and Richard Sinnott]
5. Parties and the Party System [Liam Weeks]
6. Voting Behaviour [Kevin Cunningham and Michael Marsh]
7. The Oireachtas: President and Parliament [Michael Gallagher]
8. The Constituency Role of Dáil Deputies [Michael Gallagher and Lee Komito]
9. Women in Politics [Yvonne Galligan and Fiona Buckley]
Part III: Policy and Administration
10. The Government and the Taoiseach [Eoin O’Malley and Shane Martin]
11. The Policy Making Process [Gary Murphy]
12. The Media and Politics [Kevin Rafter]
Part IV: Ireland in a Wider World
13. Northern Ireland and the British Dimension [John Coakley]
14. Europe and the International Dimension [Brigid Laffan and Ben Tonra]
Appendices [John Coakley]