Pre-School Start is a practical resource that can be used with nursery children who need targeted additional help in developing communication skills. Devised by two speech and language therapists experienced in working with teaching staff, the book consists of three sets of 20 session sheets; one set per term. The session sheets are easy-to-follow plans for small groups; designed to be delivered by nursery staff.
Pre-School Start offers:
- an introduction on how to use the Pre-School Start programme
- programme delivery templates containing all the checklists, record sheets and handouts needed to carry out the programme
- 60 photocopyable session sheets
- templates for games (colour versions available to download)
- minimal preparation required.
This is an an invaluable resource for teachers and teaching assistants that encourages good collaborative practice between schools, speech & language therapists, the SENCO and parents.
This title is a follow up to School Start: Targeted Intervention for Language and Sound Awareness in Reception Class by Catherine de la Bedoyere & Catharine Lowri (9781909301580), which is a practical resource that can be used with children who need additional help in developing communication skills during the first year of school.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Introduction
Part 2: Preparation Session Sheets
Part 3: Session Sheets
Part 4: Resource Templates
Part 5: Programme Delivery Templates
Catherine de la Bedoyere is a speech & language therapist with over 10 years' experience of managing and delivering services to children in a variety of settings, including mainstream and special needs schools. In addition, she has acted as the professional advisor for speech & language therapy to I CAN and taught postgraduate teachers at Kingston University. She offers consultancy services and practises in a special needs school in East Sussex. Catharine Lowry is a speech & language therapist with over 10 years' experience of working in a variety of settings. This includes language units, community clinics and special needs schools for children with Moderate Learning Difficulties (MLD). She is currently working in the mainstream service in the Royal Borough of Kingston.
"'Pre-School Start' was written as a practical resource aimed at nursery children requiring additional targeted support for a plethora of communication skills, including attention and listening. The intervention guide itself is easy to navigate and contains:
- detailed theory and background information
- preparation session sheets, specifically aimed at developing attention and listening skills
- session sheets containing robust planning with enjoyable and highly interactive activities. Each session involves a 'Language Focus' with a structured practical activity introducing it to the children
- resource templates outlining the items required for learning. Although resources are outlined clearly, 'gathering time' is essential prior to delivery. Some sessions require brought-in resources, or those made previously by the pupils
- programme delivery templates developed to ensure the intervention runs smoothly and offers clear evidence of attainment and progress for the pupils that participate.
It is invigorating to see a well-structured programme highlighting the importance of transferring skills taught in isolation, back into mainstream learning and the home.
A Plan B for a 'second chance to learn' the skills is offered, an additional 'post session liaison' to reinforce the language in the main setting environment, as well as documents supporting settings in involving parents. IF this structure is followed systemcatically, it is easy to see how the children make progress!" — Rebecca Hadley (Assistant Head of Service, Rushall Inclusion Advisory Team) - for nasen connect
"It's easy to follow. Evaluation is quick and easy to complete. The children's growth in confidence from beginning to end is really noticeable." — Teaching Assistant
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.