Identity, Adaptation and the African American Youth Film
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after May 31, 2021
This book examines a popular, divisive, and celebrity-endorsed filmic depiction of a troubled African American girl, focusing on the concept of African American youth film and genre hybridity; the adaptation of the film from its source novel; how it deals with issues of identity such as race, gender, and body size; the film’s use of music and pop stars as spectacle; and how the film’s critical reception brought back, and moved beyond, the old debates around positive representation of race.
Table of Contents
1. The African American Youth Film and the Problem of Genre
2. Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire: Precious as an Adaptation
3. Not Your Average Teen Heroine: The Identity of Precious
4. "Rough-Cut Diamond" or "Orgy of Prurience"?: Critical Reception and the Return of Representation