Concise yet comprehensive, Product Planning Essentials, Second Edition, addresses the complex, interdisciplinary nature of product development and product management. It covers strategic issues that emerge during the product life cycle, including identifying opportunities, idea generation and evaluation, technical development, commercialization, and eventual product dismissal. Instructors, students, and practitioners will appreciate the balanced managerial and how-to orientation.
Changes to the Second Edition
• Addition of two chapters on design and legal considerations.
• Expanded discussion of global considerations to introduce sustainable product development and Base of the Pyramid (BoP) product development.
• Simplified technical discussions of planning techniques for improved comprehension.
• Inclusion of product planning best practices from recent noteworthy cases and studies in the final chapter.
1. Introduction to Product Planning 2. Strategy and Process 3. Organizing People 4. Opportunity Identification 5. Concept Generation 6. Concept Evaluation 7. Technical Development 8. Design 9. Market Planning 10. Commercialization and Launch 11. Life Cycle Management 12. Global Issues in Product Planning 13. Legal and Public Policy Considerations for Product Planning 14. Product Planning Best Practices