Apple Academic Press
477 pages | 7 Color Illus. | 63 B/W Illus.
This new volume, Promising Drug Molecules of Natural Origin, explores potential beneficial drug substances derived from nature. It presents the general principles, characteristics, evaluation techniques, and applications involved in drug molecules from natural sources, such as plants and marine life. With chapters from renowned experts from around the world, the chapters in this volume address the challenges of standardization of herbal medicines, methods of characterization of natural medicines and phyto-constituents, and quality control methods for herbal medicines. Several chapters in the book focus on the evolution of phyto-constituents in cancer therapeutics, while others deal with applications for other diseases, such as diabetes and neuroinflammatory disorders. The volume also specifically reviews heterocyclic drugs from plants.
This volume will be a valuable resource for faculty and advanced students in pharmaceutics as well as researchers, scientists, and industry professionals in medicine and drug development.
Part 1: Drugs from Nature and Their Evaluation
1. Facts about the Standardization of Herbal Medicines
Vandana Garg et al.
2. Current Perspectives and Methods for the Characterization of Natural Medicines
Muthusamy Ramesh et al.
3. Characterization of Phyto-Constituents
Himangini, Faizana Fayaz, and Anjali
4. Quality Control Methods for Herbal Medicines
Deepak Sharma, Suresh Kumar, and Sandeep K. Thakur
Part 2: Herbal Medicines in Cancer Therapeutics
5. Anti-Cancer Agents from Natural Sources
Debasish Bandyopadhyay and Felipe Gonzalez
6. Current and Future Perspectives of Marine Drugs for Cancer Disorders: A Critical Review
Bhaskaran Mahendran et al.
7. Edible Pulses: Source of Anticancer Agents
Vandana Garg, Kripi Vohra, and Harish Dureja
Part 3: Natural Drugs with Heteroatoms
8. Heterocyclic Drugs from Plants
Debasish Bandyopadhyay, Valeria Garcia, and Felipe Gonzalez
9. Heterocyclic Drug Design and Development
Garima Verma, Mohammad Shaquiquzzaman, and Mohammad Mumtaz Alam
Part 4: Diverse Applications of Herbal Medicines
10. Role of Natural Agents in Management of Diabetes
Monika Elżbieta Jach and Anna Serefko
11. Marine Drugs: A Source of Medicines for Neuroinflammatory Disorders
Arunachalam Muthuraman, Narahari Rishitha, and Nallapilai Paramakrishnan