The editors of this volume have assembled recent articles discussing elements of each of the several commonly used psychosocial interventions -- including relapse prevention therapy, community reinforcement, voucher-based programs, self-help therapies, and motivational enhancement therapy--in addition to research-based articles that demonstrate the efficacy of these approaches. The selections in this book will provide the reader with a broad overview of the field as well as the specific information needed to use these therapies in a variety of clinical settings.
Table of Contents
Stephen L. Dilts, M.D., Ph.D.
Elinore F. McCance-Katz, M.D., and H. Westley Clark, M.D., J.D., M.P.H.
1. Relapse Prevention: An Overview of Marlatt's Cognitive-Behavioral Model
Mary E. Larimer, Ph.D., Rebekka S. Palmer, and G. Alan Marlatt, Ph.D.
2. Motivational Interviewing
William C. Noonan, M.S.W. and Theresa B. Moyers, Ph.D.
3. Motivational Interviewing to Enhance Treatment Initiation in Substance Abusers: An Effectiveness Study
Kathleen M. Carroll, Ph.D., Bryce Libby, M.S.W., Joseph Sheehan, M.S., and Nancy Hyland, C.A.C.
4. Network Therapy for Cocaine Abuse: Use of Family and Peer Support
Marc Gallanter, M.D., Helen Dermatis, Ph.D., Daniel Keller, Ph.D., and Manuel Trujillo, M.D.
5. The Community Reinforcement Approach
William R. Miller, Ph.D., and Robert J. Meyers, M.S. with Susanne Hiller-Sturmhöfel, Ph.D.
6. Voucher-Based Incentives: A Substance Abuse Treatment Innovation
Stephen T. Higgins, Sheila M. Alessi and Robert L. Dantona
7. A Comparison of Contingency Management and Cognitive-Behavior Approaches During Methadone Maintenance Treatment for Cocaine Dependence
Richard A. Rawson, Ph.D., Alice Huber, Ph.D., Michael McCann, M.A., Steven Shoptaw, Ph.D., David Farabee, Ph.D., Chris Reiber, Ph.D., Walter Ling, M.D.
8. Self-Help Strategies Among Patients with Substance Use Disorders
Joseph Westermeyer, M.D., Ph.D., Sarah Myott, B.S., Rembrant Aarts, B.S.M., and Paul Thuras, Ph.D.
9. Residential Treatment for Dually Diagnosed Homeless Veterans: A Comparison of Program Types
Wesley J. Kasprow, Ph.D., M.P.H., Robert Rosenheck, M.D., Linda Frisman, Ph.D., and Diane DeLella, M.P.H.
10. Psychotherapies for Adolescent Substance Abusers: 15-Month Follow-Up of a Pilot Study
Yifrah Kaminer, M.D. and Joseph A. Burleson, Ph.D.
11. The Links Between Alcohol, Crime and the Criminal Justice System: Explanations, Evidence, and Interventions
Susan E. Martin, Ph.D.
Elinore McCance-Katz, M.D., Ph.D., is Chair of the Addictions Psychiatry Division at Virginia Commonwealth University.
H. Westley Clark, M.D., J.D., M.P.H., is Director of the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment under the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.