Re-Imagining Christian Higher Education takes a fresh and critical look at the challenges facing Christian colleges and universities and provides concrete recommendations for university leaders, faculty, and staff to implement in their daily work. Chapters in this book address leadership and diversity challenges, issues of affordability and sustainability, and ways of maintaining the distinguishing features of a Christ-centered liberal arts education. A vivid and compelling picture of the Christian university of the future is painted by these authors as they highlight the importance of embracing our Christian identity while being willing to engage a pluralistic and fragmented world. Firmly rooted in a missional identity of faithful learning that is committed to the intellectual, personal, and spiritual development of our students, Christian colleges and universities are encouraged to reclaim and revitalize the breadth and depth of the Christian tradition in order to move forward.
The chapters in this book were originally published as a special issue of Christian Higher Education.
Introduction. Re-Imagining Christian Higher Education: Hope for the Future Laurie A. Schreiner
1. Steering the Ship through Uncertain Waters: Empirical Analysis and the Future of Evangelical Higher Education P. Jesse Rine and David S. Guthrie
2. Women in Leadership: The Future of Christian Higher Education Karen A. Longman and Patricia S. Anderson
3. Pathways to Success for Students of Color in Christian Colleges: The Role of Institutional Integrity and Sense of Community Allison N. Ash and Laurie A. Schreiner
4. Faith and LGBTQ Inclusion: Navigating the Complexities of the Campus Spiritual Climate in Christian Higher Education Alyssa N. Rockenbach and Rebecca E. Crandall
5. The Future of Residence Life and Student Affairs in Christian Higher Education Rishi Sriram and Melissa McLevain
6. A Distinctive Vision for the Liberal Arts: General Education and the Flourishing of Christian Higher Education Cynthia A. Wells
7. Reimagining Christian Higher Education E. Eileen Hulme, David E. Groom, Jr., and Joseph M. Heltzel
8. Envisioning the Future of Christian Higher Education: Leadership for Embracing, Engaging, and Executing in a Changing Landscape John Reynolds and Jon Wallace
9. Toward a Future for Christian Higher Education: Learning from the Past, Looking to the Future David S. Dockery