Red Hot Root Words Mastering Vocabulary With Prefixes, Suffixes, and Root Words (Book 2, Grades 6-9)
Help students improve their mastery of the English language and acquire the keys for understanding thousands of words by studying Greek and Latin prefixes, root words, and suffixes. This is one of the most complete, usable presentations of vocabulary development using word parts you will find. A knowledge of word parts gives students a head start on decoding words in reading and testing situations. This book, the second in a two-book series, contains three sections (prefixes, root words, and suffixes), but each section has the same format. Each of the lessons include:
- two to four prefixes, suffixes, or root words along with meanings and sample words;
- 10 new vocabulary words that use these word parts;
- definitions and sample sentences for each new word; and
- a one-page worksheet that presents a variety of ways to apply knowledge and expand understanding of the definitions and uses of the word parts.
In addition to the extensive student section, this book includes considerable reference material to help the instructor. This includes:
- a comprehensive listing of prefixes, root words, and suffixes;
- their meanings and sample words;
- extra words to use with each lesson;
- open-ended worksheets that can be used with any lesson; and
- additional lesson ideas to supplement your word study.
For younger students, use Red Hot Root Words, Book 1.