Within the Sport and Exercise Sciences (SES) and allied disciplines, reflective practice has become firmly established as a fundamental aspect of education, professional training and development, and applied service delivery. This has resulted in an emerging, context-specific evidence base that has attempted to make sense of the application and utility of reflective practice as a mechanism to facilitate personal and professional growth through experiential learning, and subsequently develop the knowledge required to navigate the complexities of applied practice.
This new and fully revised edition of Reflective Practice in the Sport and Exercise Sciences explores the contemporary conceptual landscape, critical perspectives, pedagogy, and applied considerations in reflective practice in the SES and allied disciplines. Contributions from scientists, researchers, practitioners, and academics offer innovative perspectives of reflective practice, founded on a synthesis of the contemporary empirical evidence base and applied practitioner experience.
These contributions challenge academic and/or practice-based audiences regarding the utility, research, and representation of reflective practice, while offering critical insights into the application of different approaches to reflective practice. Based on exploring the crucial interface between learning and practice, this book is important reading for all who work in the SES and allied disciplines, and, more widely, any professional aiming to become a more effective practitioner.
This book is endorsed by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences.
Section 1: Exploring the Conceptual Landscape of Reflective Practice in SES and Allied Disciplines
1. Introduction: Reflecting on Opportunities and Journeys
Brendan Cropley, Zoe Knowles, Andy Miles, and Emma Huntley
2. Where Are We Now and Where to Next? A Strategic Pause Amongst the Reflective Practice Literature in Sport and Exercise
3. The Reflective Sport and Exercise Science Practitioner
Zoe Knowles, Andy Miles, Emma Huntley, Gareth Picknell, Stephen D. Mellalieu, Sheldon Hanton, Emily Ryall, Andy Borrie, Jo Trelfa, Hamish Telfer, Kate Williams, Tegan Adams, Alison Pope-Rhodius, Christopher R. D. Wagstaff, Matthew Miller, Alessandro Quartiroli, Amy Whitehead, Amanda J. Wilding, Paula Watson, Laura Needham, James Morton, Brian Gearity, Clayton Kuklick, Hannah C. Wood, Amelia K. Simpson, Amelia K. Mcintosh, Emma S. Cowley, and Brendan Cropley
Section 2: Critical Perspectives
4. Where’s the Evidence? Contemporary Insights into the Impact of Reflective Practice on Professional Practice
Gareth Picknell, Stephen D. Mellalieu, Sheldon Hanton, and Brendan Cropley
5. Making Reflective Practice More Meaningful: Saying the "Unsayable"
Andy Borrie and Emily Ryall
6. Barriers to Reflective Practice and Opportunities for Progress in the Sport and Exercise Sciences and Allied Disciplines: Spaces and Places in Between
Jo Trelfa and Hamish Telfer
Section 3: Pedagogical and Applied Issues
7. Issues in Education, Professional Training, and Development in the Sport and Exercise Sciences and Allied Disciplines
Brendan Cropley and Kate Williams
8. Facilitating Multicultural Reflective Practice During Supervision
Tegan Adams and Alison Pope-Rhodius
9. The Reflective Sport System
Christopher R. D. Wagstaff, Matthew Miller, and Alessandro Quartiroli
10. Think Aloud as a Reflection In- and On-Action Tool
Section 4: Applied Case Studies
11. The Four A’s Framework for Service Delivery and Reflective Practice
Amanda J. Wilding
12. Finding My "Dharma": Critical Reflective Practice During a Mid-Career Transition from Academia to Applied Exercise Psychology
13. My Reflective Journey: A Retrospective Request for Permission to Find My Own Way to Reflect
14. Winning on the Road: Critical Reflections from Life in the Fast Lane!
15. Critical Reflective Practices of a Strength and Conditioning Coach: A Case Study of What Turned into Post-Structural Refracting
Brian Gearity and Clayton Kuklick
16. Reflective Practice During the Herizon Physical Activity Intervention Project: The Utility of Group Reflection and Lessons Learnt from Exercise Psychology Students
Hannah C. Wood, Amelia K. Simpson, Amelia K. Mcintosh, and Emma S. Cowley
Section 5: Reflecting Forwards
17. Reflecting Backwards and Forwards: Summary, Recommendations, and Future Directions
Andy Miles, Emma Huntley, Zoe Knowles, and Brendan Cropley