Although China’s new healthcare reform, launched in 2009, has achieved remarkable results in improving China’s medical and healthcare system, it is recognised that there is still room for further improvement. This is especially important as China’s population ages, the prevalence of chronic diseases increases and environment-related health risks worsen. This book reports on a major international research project which examined health trends, modes of health promotion, health finance systems, medical and healthcare innovations and environment-related health risks in China. For each of these key areas, the book considers the current situation in China and likely future trends, explores best practice from a wide range of foreign countries and puts forward proposals for improvements. Overall, the book provides a major assessment of China’s medical and healthcare system and how it should be reformed.
1. Main Report: Research of China’s healthcare system reform
Part I: Future Prospects of Population Health in China
2. Chinese Report: Health in China: status, challenges, and proposals
3. Foreign Report：Rapid progress in the development of China’s national vaccination programme
Roy Anderson and Rebecca Baggaley
4. Foreign Report：Electronic data systems in public health – relevance for China
Part II: Constructing a Prevention-oriented Health System
5. Chinese Report: Building a social collaboration network for improved health
6. Foreign Report: Constructing a prevention oriented health care system in China - a review of international progress in public health improvement
Part III: Building a Sustainable Health Finance System
7.Chinese Report: The sustainability of funding healthcare in China
8. Foreign Report: Building a sustainable healthcare funding system: Lessons from high and middle income countries
Ashoke Bhattacharjya and Elizabeth Fowler
Part IV: Enhancing Healthcare Supply Capability
9. Chinese Report: Improving China’s capacity to supply medical services
10. Foreign Report：Enhancing health care supply capabilities in China - a review of international progress in healthcare supply reform
Michael Chernew and Padhraig Ryan
Part V: Accelerating Institutional and Technical Innovation in the Health Sector
11. Chinese Report: Innovative new models in medical treatment
12. Chinese Report: China’s pharmaceutical industry
13. Foreign Report: Constructing an innovative medical and pharmaceutical industry in China - a review of international progress in innovation
Timothy R. Franson
Part VI: Meeting China’s Health Environmental Challenges Head on: Harmonizing Natural and Social Environments
14. Chinese Report: Environmental risks with respect to health in China, and an exploration of risk-prevention and risk-control mechanisms
15. Research Report 1: China’s air quality and attendant health risks
Zhang Jinliang, Zhang Yanping, Zou Tiansen, Yang Zhao, Sang Tian, Kang Wenting, et al.
16. Research Report 2: Analytical report on China’s ‘cancer villages’
Zhang Jinliang, Zou Tiansen, Wang Feifei, Zue Sujuan, et al.
17. Research Report 3: Environmental lead pollution in China and children’s exposure to lead
Zhang Jinliang, Wang Bing, Pan Libo, Zou Tiansen, Gao Feixia, et al.
18. Foreign Report: Design and implementation of a governance system for the protection of the environment and public health in China: International models and best practices