Research Methods: The Basics is an accessible, user-friendly introduction to the different aspects of research theory, methods and practice. This second edition provides an expanded resource suitable for students and practitioners in a wide range of disciplines including the natural sciences, social sciences and humanities. Structured in two parts – the first covering the nature of knowledge and the reasons for research, the second the specific methods used to carry out effective research and how to propose, plan, carry out and write up a research project – this book covers:
• Reasons for doing a research project
• Structuring and planning a research project
• The ethical issues involved in research
• Different types of data and how they are measured
• Collecting and analysing qualitative and quantitative data in order to draw sound conclusions
• Mixed methods and interdisciplinary research
• Devising a research proposal and writing up the research
• Motivation and quality of work.
Complete with a glossary of key terms and guides to further reading, this book is an essential text for anyone coming to research for the first time.
Part I: Research theory and practice
1. Research basics
2. Research theory
3. Structuring the research project
4. Research ethics
5. Finding and reviewing the literature
Part II: The main research methods
6. The nature of data
7. Collecting and analysing secondary data: modern, historical and archival
8. Collecting primary data
9. Quantitative data analysis
10. Qualitative data analysis
11. Mixed methods and interdisciplinary research
12. Writing the proposal and planning the research project
13. Writing up the research
The Basics is a highly successful series of accessible guidebooks which provide an overview of the fundamental principles of a subject area in a jargon-free and undaunting format.
Intended for students approaching a subject for the first time, the books both introduce the essentials of a subject and provide an ideal springboard for further study. With over 50 titles spanning subjects from Artificial Intelligence to Women’s Studies, The Basics are an ideal starting point for students seeking to understand a subject area.
Each text comes with recommendations for further study and gradually introduces the complexities and nuances within a subject.