Routledge Applied Linguistics is a series of comprehensive textbooks, providing students and researchers with the support they need for advanced study in the core areas of English language and Applied Linguistics.Each book in the series guides readers through three main sections, enabling them to explore and develop major themes within the discipline.
- Section A, Introduction, establishes the key terms and concepts and extends readers’ techniques of analysis through practical application.
- Section B, Extension, brings together influential articles, sets them in context, and discusses their contribution to the field.
- Section C, Exploration, builds on knowledge gained in the first two sections, setting thoughtful tasks around further illustrative material. This enables readers to engage more actively with the subject matter and encourages them to develop their own research responses.
Throughout the book, topics are revisited, extended, interwoven and deconstructed, with the reader’s understanding strengthened by tasks and follow-up questions.
Research Methods for Applied Language Studies:
- Provides an advanced introduction to quantitative and qualitative research methods used in second and foreign language learning, teaching and assessment
- Takes readers step by step through the processes of research, from formulating research questions to writing up a dissertation or report.
- Employs a wide variety of carefully structured tasks and discussion points to guide the reader through the key themes, frameworks and procedures of applied language research, including ethnography, conversation analysis and quasi-experimental designs.
- Engages students in readings and tasks on articles from leading names in the field, including Alison Mackey, Roy Lyster, Angela Creese, Junko Mori, Rod Ellis and Diane Larsen-Freeman.
- Is supported by a Companion Website, including data sets for practice and guides to writing a proposal, making recordings, conducting interviews, producing questionnaires and organising a dissertation.
Written by experienced teachers and researchers in the field, Research Methods for Applied Language Studies is an essential resource for students and researchers of Applied Linguistics.
Table of Contents
1.Introduction to Research in Language Teaching and Learning 2. Interaction and Pedagogy 3. The Classroom as a Language Learning Environment 4. Affect and Belief in Language Learning 5. Language Learning Tasks 6. Interaction, Context and Identity 7. Assessing Language/Accessing Constructs 8. Mixed Methods Studies and Complexity
"Richards, Ross and Seedhouse have produced an indispensable guide for students interested in the research methods that are widely used today in second language teaching and assessment. Research Methods for Applied Language Studies offers a comprehensive introduction to designing, collecting, analyzing, and reporting research data. The authors provide an accessible account of the principles and procedures of both quantitative and qualitative research, drawing on numerous examples of published studies. A wide variety of tasks skilfully take the reader on an exploration of core themes in applied linguistics research. For more seasoned researchers, the book provides a good refresher with helpful research design and analysis tips." Jane Jackson, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
"It is a well-structured book, offering clear discussion and explanation powered by tasks on key articles in the field and follow-up questions for anyone, not just students, interested in language related studies."
-- Ferit Kilickaya, Department of Foreign Language Education, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
"Designed as an advanced introduction to quantitative and qualitative methods in second and foreign language research, this volume is a valuable text that takes novice researchers through the various stages of conceptualizing, conducting and analyzing research... This book has a great deal to offer students at a variety of levels." - Studies in Second Language Acquisition
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.