A Critique of Contemporary Theories
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after July 5, 2021
This book provides a comprehensive understanding of the key leadership theories and skills required during times of crises and radical uncertainty, how they can be developed and how they work in practice.
Written over the course of the 2020 pandemic, the book highlights the pervasive lack of leadership competencies required for effective leadership in times of radical uncertainty and provides in-depth insights into the capacities and skills that should be part of all leadership development. The latest leadership theories, as well as existing key styles, including mindful leadership, the neuroscience of leadership, transpersonal and adaptive leadership, are discussed and critiqued along with their potential contribution to developing effective leaders. Each chapter concludes with a convenient executive summary and questions which can be used for teaching purposes and class discussion.
This is a comprehensive book about the interdisciplinary and multifaceted requirements of leadership and how to attain those capacities to develop effective leaders. It will be valuable for advanced undergraduate as well as postgraduate courses as a foundational resource on leadership theory and its application in practice.
Table of Contents
1. The World in Which we Need Leadership
2. Introduction to Leadership Theory
3.Organization Behavior Influences and Studies
4. Defining the Work of Leadership
5. The Psychology of Leadership
6. Leadership and Decision-Making
7. Leadership in Times of Crisis
8. Leadership and Management
9. Systemic Leadership
10. Adaptive Leadership
11. Transpersonal Leadership
12. The Neuroscience of Leadership
13. Mindful Leadership
14. Transformational Leadership
15. The Shadow Side of Leadership
16. Ethical Leadership
17. Gender and Leadership
18. Leading a Multigenerational Workforce
19. Conclusion – What Leaders Need
Annabel Beerel is an international corporate consultant who specializes in leadership and ethics. She has written many books on a variety of subjects, 3 of which are on leadership.