Teachers are required to increase the rigor for students, but how? This book by bestselling author and rigor expert Barbara Blackburn has the answer! It is a treasure chest of more than 200 practical and highly-effective tools that can be used across grade levels and subject areas to increase student rigor, leading your students to higher engagement and deeper learning.
Topics covered include…
- Asking higher-level questions
- Scaffolding to help all students achieve success
- Differentiating instruction and using modifications
- Fostering independence through gradual release of responsibility
- Increasing text difficulty and teaching close reading
- Setting high expectations
- Changing students’ views of success
- Encouraging effort and goal-setting
- Creating an environment that is conducive to learning
- Using effective grading policies and assessment tools
- Working with parents, colleagues, and administrators
- And much, much more!
Rigor in Your Classroom will be your go-to resource throughout the school year, as you continually return to it to try new tools with your students. Bonus: The tools are accompanied by graphic organizers, charts, templates, and reproducibles for easy implementation.
Table of Contents
Meet the Author
Chapter 1: Understanding Rigor
Chapter 2. Raise Expectations through High Standards
Chapter 3. Raise Expectations through Questioning and Adult Behaviors
Chapter 4. Increase Depth of Instruction
Chapter 5. Give Support
Chapter 6. Options for Assessment
Chapter 7: Reinvigorate the Environment
Chapter 8: Extend Your Reach
Dr. Barbara Blackburn is the bestselling author of fourteen books and is a sought-after national and international consultant. She was an award-winning professor at Winthrop University and has taught early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students.
Featured Author Profiles
"Barbara breaks down the myths about rigor and shows that it’s really about putting students first. She provides useful tools for setting clear expectations and scaffolding instruction so that all students can reach higher levels of learning."
--Annette Breaux, internationally-recognized education expert, speaker, and author of the bestselling book, Seven Simple Secrets
"Blackburn has provided us with an expansive treasure chest of gems--one right after the other--filled with practical, relevant ideas, guides and strategies to ensure that teachers are equipped with the tools and inspiration to promote learning at the most rigorous levels. Readers will want to tab page after page of wise and practical strategies throughout the book. It will become just like your very favorite cookbook full of time-tested favorites. This book is a must for teachers new to the profession and veterans alike."
--Dr. Theresa M. Campos, Senior Manager, Leadership Development, Houston Independent School District, TX
- PowerPoint on Rigor to Use in Parent Meetings
- Tool 37: Planning Tool for Bloom’s Taxonomy
- Tool 73: Cubing
- Tool 74: Decision Chart
- Tool 75: Text Connections
- Tool 111: Word Wheel
- Tool 124: Reworking Tests
- Tool 148: Reworking Tests
- Tool 157: Teacher Feedback During Questioning
- Tool 187: Certificates
- Tool 196: Working in Groups
- Tool 210: Rigor Tip Sheet for Parents
- Tool 229: A One Page Guide for Substitute Teachers
- Frequently Asked Questions about Book Studies
- Study Guide, Rigor in Your Classroom