Routledge Library Editions: Health, Disease & Society
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
Originally published between 1968 and 1989, the volumes in this set:
- Present a coherent body of information on the inter-relation between nutrition, health and disease in its social context.
- Examine various aspects of disease ecology relating socio-geographical contrasts to a dichotomy between infectious and non-infectious diseases.
- Investigate certain large-scale demographic phenomena in India – among others the experience of bubonic plague, influenza, cholera and famine.
- Discuss how social and psychological factors influence the treatment process.
- Explain why so many people suffer behavioural changes in later life; how this affects those around them and the challenges of providing health services for ageing populations.
- Provide historical perspective on contemporary difficulties and invite debate about the future development of health services.
- Offer international comparisons, particularly between the UK and US health care systems.
- Explore how the NHS confronts perennial stresses and problems, in particular the allocation of scarce resources.
- Investigate policy and legislation in the area of the provision of medicines.
- Chart the dramatic changes in the US mental health system during the 20th Century.
Table of Contents
1. Edited by Tom Arie Health Care of the Elderly
2. Edited by Keith Barnard and Kenneth Lee Conflicts in the National Health Service
3. Bernard Benjamin Health and Vital Statistics.
4. Gwyn Bevan Health Care
5. Edited by Richard H. Blum Pharmaceuticals and Health Policy
6. Edited by Phil Brown Mental Health Care and Social Policy
7. Phil Brown The Transfer of Care
8. Lindy Burton The Family Life of Sick Children
9. Lindy Burton Care of the Child Facing Death
10. Edited by George Campbell New Directions in Health Education
11. E. J Clegg and J. P Garlick Disease and Urbanization.
12. Edited by T. Dyson India's Historical Demography
13. Ray Fitzpatrick, John Hinton, Stanton Newman, Graham Scambler, James Thompson The Experience of Illness
14. Barbara Gray and Bernard Isaacs Care of the Elderly Mentally Infirm
15. Edited by Bernard Isaacs and Helen Evers Innovations in the Care of the Elderly
16. Edited by R. J. Jarrett Nutrition and Disease
17. Kelvyn Jones and Graham Moon Health, Disease and Society
18. Edited by Sol Levine and Abraham Lilienfeld Epidemiology and Health Policy
19. Roy MacLeod and Milton Lewis Disease, Medicine and Empire
20. R. J. Morris Cholera 1832
21. Lawrie Reznek The Nature of Disease
22. Edited by Graham Scambler Sociological Theory and Medical Sociology
23. Stephen Seely, David L J Freed, Gerald A Silverstone & Vicky Rippere Diet-related Diseases
24. Richard G. Wilkinson Class and Health
25. Edited by John B. McKinlay Issues in the Political Economy of Health Care