236 pages | 102 Color Illus. | 5 B/W Illus.
Seismic Performance of Asymmetric Building Structures presents detailed investigations on the effective assessment of structural seismic response under excessive torsional vibrations, demonstrating behavioural aspects from local response perspective to global seismic demands. The work provides comprehensive analytical, computational, experimental investigations, and proposes improved design guidelines that structural engineers can utilize to enhance the seismic design of asymmetric building structures.
Combining extensive experimental and numerical data stock for seismic performance assessment with a particular focus on asymmetric building structures, the book includes:
• An overview of asymmetric building structures from seismic damage perspective
• Local and global performance assessment of asymmetric structures under extreme seismic actions
• Post-earthquake damage evaluation from varying frequency trends
• Extended numerical applications for experimental response validations
• Evaluation of critical regions of asymmetric structure with stress concentration
• Statistical distribution of seismic response under varying design parameters
• Design guidelines for asymmetric building structures
This work's comprehensive evaluations are carried out with modern sensing techniques planned with meticulous attention to cover objectives with a particular focus on asymmetry in reinforced concrete and steel structures. It assesses various aspects of asymmetric building structures that are rarely dealt with in the current literature. It gathers fruitful information from various building design codes and explains their limitations in addressing damage-related challenges, which is not only useful for practicing engineers but also for academics.
The book will be invaluable for experts, researchers, students and practitioners from relevant areas, as well as for emergency preparedness managers.
1 Introduction to the Seismic Performance of Asymmetric Building Stuctures, 2 A Review of Research on Design Guidelines and Seismic Performance of Asymmetric Building Structures, 3 Experimental Strategy and Seismic Loading Program, 4 Damage Response Investigation of Asymmetric Building Structures, 5 Numerical Evaluation of Complex Local Behavior, 6 Global Seismic Behaviour of Asymmetric Building Structures, 7 Influence of Design Parameters on the Statistical Distribution of Structural Response, 8 Seismic Design Guidelines for Asymmetric Building Structures, 9 Conclusions, Appendices.