Finallya comparative overview of sexuality and human rights issues and law!
Human rights issues exist globally, particularly when they have to do with sexuality. Sexuality and Human Rights: A Global Overview focuses on the controversial issues of human sexuality and the legal challenges that LGBT individuals face. Internationally recognized legal experts thoroughly discuss the status of important human rights laws pertaining to sexuality from around the world. Reviewing the progression from historical foundations and shifting public opinions through the most recent landmark legal cases, this is an essential resource on the present state of human rights laws and sexuality.
This unique, up-to-date examination of the legal issues involving LGBT individuals’ rights around the world reviews the latest rulings, such as the adoption of minors by homosexual or bisexual parents, the legal acceptance of marriage between same-sex couples, whether the gender-reassigned can be legally considered their true gender identity, and much, much more. Sexuality and Human Rights: A Global Overview illustrates the journey our worldwide legal systems have traveled, and the path stretching before them, until the destination of equality and acceptance in sexuality may finally be reached. Well-referenced, comprehensive, and yet accessible to the general reader, this book provides a crucial, provocative look at just what basic sexual human rights means in today’s laws.
Some of the topics of Sexuality and Human Rights: A Global Overview include:
- perspectives and objectives to challenge discrimination
- sexuality and international human rights law
- sexuality and human rights in Australian law
- transsexuals issues in European human rights law
- sexual orientation and gender identity legal issues in North America
- the present state of sexuality and human rights in European law
- the Asian legal perspective on sexuality and human rights
- laws pertaining to sexual identity issues
Table of Contents
- International Lesbian and Gay Law Association (R. Douglas Elliott)
- CERSGOSIG: Perspectives and Objectives to Challenge Discrimination: A Network on Global Scale (Stefano Fabeni)
- Sexuality and International Human Rights Law (Phillip Tahmindjis)
- Sexuality and Australian Law (The Hon. Justice Michael Kirby)
- Transsexuals and European Human Rights Law (The Hon. Lord Reed)
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in North America: Legal Trends, Legal Contrasts (R. Douglas Elliott and Mary Bonauto)
- Sexuality and Human Rights in Europe (Helmut Graupner)
- Advancing Human Rights Through Constitutional Protection for Gays and Lesbians in South Africa (Ronald Louw)
- Sexuality and Human Rights: An Asian Perspective (Erick Laurent)
- Laws and Sexual Identities: Closing or Opening the Circle? (Phillip Tahmindjis)
- Reference Notes Included