Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
Names: Zarafonetis, Nicole, author.
Title: Sexuality in a changing China : young women, sex and intimate
relations in the reform period / Nicole Zarafonetis.
Description: New York, NY : Routledge, 2017. | Series: Routledge research on
gender in Asia series | Includes bibliographical references and index.
Identifiers: LCCN 2017001825| ISBN 9781138240148 (hardback) | ISBN
Subjects: LCSH: Sex--China. | Sex instruction--China. | Sex role--China. |
Dating (Social customs)--China. | Marriage--China. | Women--China--Social
Classification: LCC HQ18.C6 Z37 2017 | DDC 306.70951--dc23
LC record available at https://lccn.loc.gov/2017001825
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Making Sense of Modernity in China
2. "Socialism with Chinese Characteristics": Women and Economic Reform
3. "At fifteen, we know nothing!": Approaches and Attitudes to Sex Education and Sexuality
4. "All they want is a sexy ayi": Dating and Intimate Relationships
5. "It’s like an unspoken rule": Exploring the Continuing Expectation of Marriage
Appendix – Summary of Participant Information
Glossary of Key Terms and Phrases
Nicole Zarafonetis holds a PhD in Women’s Studies from the University of York. Currently an independent consultant; her research interests include international women’s issues with a focus on East Asia.