Skills Training for Struggling Kids
Promoting Your Child's Behavioral, Emotional, Academic, and Social Development
- This format cannot be shipped to your selected country.
*Follow rules and behave honestly.
*Curb angry outbursts.
*Make and maintain friendships.
*Express feelings productively.
*Stay on task at school.
*Resolve conflicts with siblings.
Loads of checklists, worksheets, and troubleshooting tips help you select and implement the strategies that meet your child's specific needs. You'll also build your own skills for parenting effectively when the going gets tough. Systematic, compassionate, and practical, the book is grounded in state-of-the-art research. The road to positive changes for your child and family starts here.
Mental health professionals, see also the related title The Practitioner Guide to Skills Training for Struggling Kids.
Table of Contents
Getting Started and Staying with It
1. The Struggling Child: Understanding Your Child's Behavioral-Emotional Problems
2. Getting Back on Track: Coming Up with a Skills-Building Plan for Your Child and Family
3. Taking Care of Business: Getting Going and Following Through
Enhancing Your Child's Behavioral Development
4. Doing What You're Told: Teaching Your Child to Comply with Parental Directives
5. Doing What's Expected: Teaching Your Child to Follow Rules
6. Doing the Right Thing: Teaching Your Child to Behave Honestly
7. Staying Cool under Fire: Managing Your Child's Protesting of Discipline and Preventing Angry Outbursts
Enhancing Your Child's Social Development
8. Making Friends: Teaching Your Child Social Behavior Skills
9. Keeping Friends: Teaching Your Child Social Problem-Solving Skills
10. That Hurts!: Helping Your Child with Bullies
11. Hanging with the “Right Crowd”: Influencing Your Child's Peer Relationships
Enhancing Your Child's Emotional Development
12. Let It Out!: Teaching Your Child to Understand and Express Feelings
13. You Are What You Think: Teaching Your Child to Think Helpful Thoughts
14. Stress Busters: Teaching Your Child to Manage Stress
Enhancing Your Child's Academic Development
15. Surviving School: Teaching Your Child to Manage Time, Organize, Plan, Review, and Stay on Task
16. Teaming Up: Collaborating and Advocating for Your Child at School
Enhancing Your Well-Being as a Parent
17. You Parent the Way You Think: Thinking Helpful Thoughts to Enhance Parenting
18. Cool Parents: Managing Your Own Stress to Enhance Parenting
Enhancing Your Family's Well-Being
19. Let's Get Together: Strengthening Family Bonds and Organization
20. We Can Work It Out: Strengthening Family Interaction Skills
"Dr. Bloomquist speaks frankly to parents and emphasizes ways to overcome barriers to change, such as a child's protests against following rules. He also helps clinicians learn to cope with your own emotional reactions in difficult family situations." - John E. Lochman, Center for Prevention of Youth Behavior Problems, University of Alabama, USA
"We have been using the methods in this book with our two children for a while – Dr. Bloomquist's positive skills-building program is powerful! Practicing the skills and making them part of our everyday life has helped us grow closer as a family." - Margaret N.
"Dr. Bloomquist's approach has given us insight into why our son acts (and reacts) the way he does. Learning these techniques was like being handed an indispensable toolbox for addressing problem behavior. Now we can resolve challenges with a lot less chaos and stress." -Marci and Matthew H.
"Bloomquist presents a wide variety of solutions for many of the behavioral and emotional challenges often experienced by children in the 5- to 17-year age range….The procedures presented are derived from behavior therapy techniques that are well-tested and well-proven. As with many current similar training books, this book can be modularized such that relevant sections can be utilized ensuring the skills training program is tailored for each particular child….Both the parental book and the practitioner book are complete in that they contain not only the training modules but all the forms and assessment tools necessary to enhance compliance and maintenance of treatment fidelity….Practitioners wanting a well-done, thorough, and comprehensive modularized book to offer to parents who wish to work along with the therapist would do well to recommend this pair of books." - Child and Family Behavior Therapy