Soluzioni: A Practical Grammar of Contemporary Italian combines an engaging reference and practice grammar explained in clear and concise language with numerous supporting exercises.
Aimed at keen students of all levels, Soluzioni offers:
- a complete grammar review in tabular form for easy navigation and at-a-glance comprehension;
- 650 graded practice exercises with an answer key for self-assessment;
- extensive examples, using a wide range of useful up-to-date vocabulary;
- authentic material from Italian media and literature, with vocabulary notes and linked exercises to show how grammar works in practice;
- special help sections throughout, dedicated to clarifying tricky points or avoiding common pitfalls;
- a comprehensive user-friendly index for ease of access in both Italian and English;
- a glossary of grammatical terms;
- a companion website at www.routledge.com/cw/derome with over 240 free interactive language quizzes for on-the-spot testing, plus supplementary downloadable material such as a comprehensive verb section and full answer key to the book exercises.
This fourth edition continues the accessible methodology and focus on contemporary usage that has made Soluzioni the clearest and most comprehensive pedagogic grammar on the market today. Fully updated, it covers key areas of difficulty such as tense usage, the subjunctive, causative verbs, combined pronouns and word order. It also pays attention to the links between grammar and communicative functions as well as those between grammar, context and register.
Suitable for class use and independent study, Soluzioni is the ideal reference and practice resource for learners of Italian. It is particularly suitable for fast-track use in ab initio courses at university and college.
Table of Contents
Acknowledgements Introduction 1 Nouns 2 Articles 3 Descriptive adjectives 4 Adverbs 5 Comparatives and superlatives 6 Suffixes 7 Personal pronouns 8 Possessives 9 Demonstratives 10 Interrogatives 11 Exclamations 12 Indefinites 13 Relative pronouns 14 Negatives 15 Prepositions 16 Connectives 17 Numerals and units of measurement 18 The present indicative tense 19 The future tense 20 The past indicative tenses 21 The conditional 22 The imperative 23 Non-finite verb forms 24 The subjunctive 25 Special verb constructions 26 The passive voice and related constructions 27 Causative verbs and verbs of perception 28 Verbs and prepositions 29 Elements of syntax: Italian word order Italian spelling and pronunciation Glossary References Index
Denise De Rôme holds degrees from the Universities of Cambridge and Reading, UK, and has taught Italian to all levels. She has authored BBC multimedia language courses, devised and presented several series of educational radio programmes, and has contributed translations and articles on language learning to academic journals. Now a writer and translator, she was previously Principal Lecturer and Head of the Italian Department at the University of Westminster, UK.