Now in its sixth edition, South Asia 2009 provides an in-depth library of information on the countries and territories of the region. Exhaustively researched by Europa's experienced editorial team, this title includes a vast range of up-to-date economic, political and statistical data. Combining impartial analysis with facts and figures, South Asia 2009 provides a unique overall perspective on this increasingly important region.
The book is divided into three sections:
- containing introductory essays by key specialists providing impartial coverage of issues of regional importance including security and religion. Essays include: Globalization and Human Development in South Asia; Corruption and Governance in South Asia; Current Security Issues in South Asia; Forced Migration in South Asia; India as a Superpower; Gender Issues in South Asia; the Religions of South Asia; and Population and Environmental Issues in South Asia.
- detailed coverage of the eight countries of South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, The Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
- up-to-date statistical surveys including the latest available figures on population and area, agriculture, industry, trade, transport, communications, media and education
- a directory section of essential contact names, postal addresses and e-mail and internet addresses.
- a biographical section profiling prominent figures in the South Asian region
- directory details of research institutes studying the area and a select book and periodicals bibliography.