This study offers a succinct analysis of a critical period in Spain's history. It assesses the causes and course of the Civil War and covers Franco's New Spain. For the Second Edition there is a fuller examination of the politics of the Second Republic and the regional and social bases of Spain's political parties. There is also a more detailed account of the military conduct of the war and of the extent of international involvement.
Table of Contents
Part One : The Background
2. The Second Republic 1931-36.
Part Two The Civil War
3. The Military Rising.
4. The Internationalization of the War.
5. The Republic or the Revolution?
6. The Use of Terror.
7. A New Beginning - Or Old Style Military Autocracy?
8. The Military Campaigns.
9. International Aid.
10. The Republic Under Negrin.
Part Three: Assessment
12. The Legacy of the Civil War.
Part Four: Documents