Sport Industry Research and Analysis offers a straightforward, no nonsense approach to research design and statistical analyses in sport organizations. This fully revised and updated new edition describes the research process, from identifying a research question to analysing data, and uses real world scenarios to help students and industry professionals understand how to conduct research and apply the results in their wider work.
The book includes clear, step-by-step instructions for the analysis and interpretation of data. It explains how to use Excel and SPSS for every key statistic and statistical technique, with screenshots illustrating every step and additional scenarios providing further context. "In Practice" contributions from sport industry professionals demonstrate how these practitioners use statistical analyses in their everyday tasks, and this new edition includes expanded sections on conducting a literature review, research ethics, as well as ancillary materials for instructors including slides, test questions, data files, answer sheets and videos.
This is the clearest and most easy to use guide to research and analysis techniques in sport, helping the reader to build essential skills and confidence in using statistics, vital to support decision-making in any sport enterprise. It is an essential text for any sport business research methods course, and an invaluable reference for all sport industry professionals.
Part I: Approaches to Collecting Information and Data
1. Why We Need to Know About Research and Analysis … And What They Have to Do with a Career in Sport Management
2. Reading and Understanding Existing Research
3. Approaches to Information Gathering
4. Descriptive Research and Case Studies: Design and Methods
5. Experimental Research: Testing the Effects of a Variable
6. Additional Forms of Research: Qualitative/Naturalistic Inquiry, Historical/Philosophical Research, Delphi Studies
7. Feasibility and Profitability Studies, Grants and Contracts, and Notes on Measuring and Forecasting Demand
8. Ethics in Research and Notes on Protecting Participants and Data
Part II: Approaches to Analyzing and Interpreting Data
9. Introduction to the Research Scenarios and the Data Analysis Software
10. Issues in Analyzing Data
11. Descriptive Statistics
12. Correlation and Reliability
15. Analysis of Variance
16. Chi-square Tests
Appendix A Survey Data: MiLB Scenario I
Appendix B Survey Data: Health Club Scenario II
Appendix C Performance Data: NFL Combine Scenario III