Sport is one of Australia's major industries, as well as one of our most popular pastimes. From council playing fields to Olympic competition, sport is highly organised and structured.
Sport Management in Australia provides a comprehensive overview of the organisation of sport in Australia. It outlines trends in participation, the role of government and private organisations, different models of delivering sporting services, and the benefits and drawbacks of increasing commercialisation. Fully revised and updated, this fifth edition includes coverage of a wider range of sporting events, deeper coverage of corporate sport organisations, and new material on both mass participation in sport and elite sport, and also on the contribution sport makes to society.
Drawing on examples and comparisons from countries around the world, and with extended case studies, Sport Management in Australia is the indispensable starting point for anyone embarking on a career in sport management.
Table of Contents
List of Tables and Figures
About the Authors
SECTION 1: Sport in Australia
1. Sport in Australia
2. The Origins and History of Australian Sport
3. Volunteers: The Backbone of Australian Sport
SECTION 2: Government Systems In Sport
4. Federal Government
5. State and Local Government
SECTION 3: Corporate Sport
6. Corporate Sport: Managing Tradition and Business
7. Events: Impacting the Organisation and Structure of Sport
8. The Olympic and Commonwealth Games Movements
SECTION 4: Sport Development
9. Mass Participation
10. Development 'of' Sport and Elite Sport Development
11. Development 'Through' Sport: Sport for Development
SECTION 5: Coordinating The Sports System And The Future Of Sport
12. Emerging Models of Sport Creation and Delivery
13. The Four Pyramids of Australian Sport
Professor David Shilbury, Associate Professor Pamm Phillips, Dr Adam Karg and Dr Katie Rowe all lecture in sport management at Deakin Business School, Melbourne. David Shilbury is editor of the Journal of Sport Management and with Adam Karg is co-author of Strategic Sport Marketing.