168 pages | 31 B/W Illus.
What role can strategic thinking play in contemporary sport management? It can be the difference between leading or languishing – it’s that important! Covering sport at all levels, from community-based sport to elite sport, this is the first textbook to focus on strategic management in a sport context.
The book introduces the fundamentals of strategic planning, environmental analyses, strategic direction and leadership, strategy formulation and selection, implementation, strategic control, and change management. Designed to encourage students to develop a strategic mindset, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills, the book unpacks key concepts such as leadership, governance, organizational change, and the multiple layers of strategy in sport.
Full of real-world case studies from diverse, international sport business environments, and useful pedagogical features such as review questions and guides to online resources, this is an essential text for any sport management course and an invaluable resource for sport development, recreation management, or events management courses.
1. The Process of Strategic Management in Sport
2. Internal Environmental Analysis
3. External Environmental Analysis
4. Strategic Leadership and Governance
5. Strategic Direction
6. Multi-Level Strategy Formulation
7. Strategy Evaluation and Selection
8. Strategy Implementation and Organisational Change
9. Strategic Control Systems and Change Management
10. Strategic Planning