Study Skills for Foundation Degrees offers a step-by-step guide to the skills needed to successfully complete a Foundation Degree. Filled with activities and useful tips, it will help students to move from nervous novice to confident expert and provide them with the necessary tools to accomplish this. By reading this book, students will be able to learn new skills and enhance existing ones.
This third edition has been fully updated and features new chapters on e-learning and dissertations as well as expanded sections on ethics, feedback and referencing. Each chapter includes practical guidance as well as student perspectives that will help students through their course of study. It includes advice on how to support learning, boost motivation and enhance time management, and covers all the essential skills required for successful study, including:
- Effective reading and note-taking strategies
- Developing oral skills in a wide range of presentation settings, including what makes a good presentation and how each stage of the process can be prepared for
- Carrying out well-planned, methodologically sound and well-written research
- Preparing for examinations and other forms of assessment
- Producing a professional development portfolio or winning CV
Highly accessible, this new edition is an essential resource for all Foundation Degree students who want to get the most out of their course, mature students or anyone with limited or no experience of academic study.
Table of Contents
1. Preparing for Foundation Degree Study 2. Learning as an Adult 3. Effective Reading and Note-taking Strategies 4. Developing your Oral Presentation Skills 5. Data Collection and Presentation 6. Effective Academic Writing Techniques - Essays 7. Effective Academic Writing Techniques – Other Types of Assignments 8. Referencing and Avoiding Plagiarism 9. Using Technology to Enhance your Learning 10. How to manage your time, handle stress and cope with exams 11. Reflective Practice and Continuing Professional Development 12. Progressing to an Honours Degree and Producing a Winning CV
Dorothy Bedford is Senior Lecturer in Education at Roehampton University, UK.
Elizabeth Wilson is Emeritus Professor at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David, UK.