Success in Evaluation takes a fundamentally different approach to the mainstream supply side discussion of evaluation quality, utilization, and learning. The contributors believe that a systematic focus on success will lead to increased awareness of evaluation and its findings, a more positive attitude, and a greater chance of actual evaluation use.
This book offers many different lessons on how to improve evaluation design, research processes, and reporting. It is a realistic look at performance management, the evidence movement, and the demand barriers that so often block the role evaluators can play in organizational learning and decision-making.
International case studies and lessons are included that both explain success-oriented methods and share insightful lessons from the real world. Together, they present a convincing case that evaluation for success allows for increased constructive interaction amongst both stakeholders and evaluators and, as a result, learning processes and outcomes will improve.
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations
List of Tables
Foreword, Ray C. Rist
Rudi Turksema, Peter van der Knaap, and Steffen
Part One: Evaluative Approaches to Find Success
2. Positive Thinking and Learning from Evaluation
Nicoletta Stame and Veronica Lo Presti
3. Structuring Evaluations and Monitoring for Learning
4. Using Big Data to Identify Success
Jonathan D. Breul
5. What Public Sector Organizations Can Learn from the Private Sector Evaluative Practices: The Case of the Balanced Scorecard
R. Pablo Guerrero O.
6. Focusing on Success: A Review of Everyday Practices of Organizational Learning in Public Administration
Part Two: Case Studies in Finding Success
7. Building on Success to Succeed: The Role of Evaluation in Evidence-Based Policymaking in Denmark
Daniel Schwartz Bojsen and Line Dybdal
8. Managing Evaluative Knowledge: The Case of Mothers' Aid
Steffen Bohni Nielsen
9. Indicators of Success: Using Information and Learning to Support an Effective Performance Audit Function
Jeremy Lonsdale and Ruth Stewart
10. Conditions for Evaluation Success in the Education Sector
Claus C. Rebien and Andreas Hougaard
11. Sustaining the Success of Sustainable Road Safety: The Contributions of Responsive Evaluation and Performance Indicators
Peter van der Knaap
12. The Power of Positive Evaluation: Bridging Evaluative Inquiry, Learning, and Success
Peter van der Knaap, Steffen Bohni Nielsen, and
List of Contributors