Written to meet the needs of teaching assistants and learning support assistants, this book provides a practical toolkit for supporting students on the autistic spectrum in mainstream primary schools.
The book offers a clear, jargon free explanation of autism spectrum conditions and examines the difficulties arising from these conditions and how they can impact on students’ learning. Addressing issues which arise on a daily basis, it is full of practical advice and strategies for supporting students socially and academically across all areas of the curriculum.
• advice on supporting students through examinations
• examples and case studies to illustrate how the strategies described work in practice
• forms to help with information collection and evaluation
• templates to scaffold students’ comprehension and learning in different subject areas
Packed with photocopiable resources that can be adapted to suit individual students’ needs, this book is essential reading for teaching assistants that want to help their students’ on the autism spectrum to reach their full potential.
1. Strengths of Individuals with Asperger Syndrome or High Functioning Autism
2. Important things to know about Autism Spectrum Conditions
3. Autism and Asperger Syndrome – a brief history
4. Girls with Asperger Syndrome
5. Parents are a Valuable Resource – Use Them
6. Be Prepared! Transition into Primary School
7. Sensory Overload - Creating an Autism Friendly Environment
8. The Real Challenge - Managing Behaviour
9. Bullying and Asperger Syndrome
10. Organization - Practicalities
11. Autism is a Communication Difficulty
12. Handwriting Difficulties, Poor Working Memory and Scribing for a Pupil with AS
13. Written Assignments
14. English Literature
15. Science, Technologies and PE
16. School Trips
Glossary of Terms