The transition from primary to secondary school is extremely important in the lives of children and young people but it is also a time of significant stress for many.
This unique programme is designed to support children during this process, helping to build the confidence, skills and the resources that they will need in order to ensure a smooth and successful transition. This accessible text provides teachers, parents and professionals working with young people with a comprehensive range of resources to effectively support this process, and also:
- promotes the development of resilient children and young people who can cope effectively with the process of change
- encourage pupil participation and ensure that well-being is further fostered and maintained both for young people and staff within the learning context
- includes specific strategies, techniques and ideas regarding the transition process including systems and individualised approaches
- helps young people to visualise success, manage strong and complex emotions, cope with stress and anxiety, problem solve difficult situations, recognise their own signature strengths and build upon these through a series of activities and problem based learning opportunities.
The programme itself also makes use of solution-focused approaches, motivational interviewing techniques, cognitive behaviour therapy strategies and a range of ideas and techniques taken from positive psychology and resilience theory. The wealth of resources offered here make this programme unique and engaging, and will be particularly useful to those who support children with SEN and higher levels of vulnerability.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction 2. Powerpoint training session for staff and parents 3. Resources for staff - systems and procedures 4. Potential difficulties surrounding transition to secondary school for students with SEN and complex needs 5. Joint working 6. Parents checklist for identifying inclusive schools 7. Getting ready for secondary school 8. Making it visual - boolets and DVD tours 9. Considerations for the penultimate primary year 10. Possible objectives for secondary schools during additional transition visits 11. Pre-unduction day consideration for secondary schools 12. Strategies to support SEN pupils in secondary schools 13. Recommendations for induction to secondary 14. Writing a pupil passport 15. Example passport format 1 16. Example information cards 17. The programme for students 18. Session 1 a new school 19. Session 2 coping with change 20. Session 3 getting organised 21. Session 4 focus on feelings 22. Session 5 Thought control 23. Session 6 developing character strengths and resilience 24. Session 7 managing friendships and conflicts 25. Session 8 Coping with stress 26. Session 9 teaching and learning styles 27. Session 10 positive self and positive goals 28. Additional resources for use with children and young people on transition to high school
Tina Rae is an educational and child psychologist. She is also an academic and professional tutor for the doctoral training course for educational and child psychologists at the University of East London. She has also published with Routledge: Supporting the Well Being of Girls: An Evidence-based School Programme (with Elizabeth Piggott, 2014).