Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry, Third Edition, is the only book available to introduce students to economic, environmental and socially sustainable issues specifically facing the industry as well as exploring ideas, solutions and strategies of how to manage operations in a sustainable way. Since the second edition of this book, there have been many important developments in this field and this latest edition has been updated in the following ways:
- Updated content including sustainable food systems, hotel energy solutions, impacts of technology, water and food waste management, green hotel design, certification and ecolabelling systems and the evolving nature of corporate social responsibility strategies.
- New chapters exploring environmental accounting and the internalization of externalities as well as the management of accessibility in hospitality.
- Updated and new international case studies with reflective questions throughout to explore key issues and show real-life operational responses to sustainability within the hospitality industry.
This accessible and comprehensive account of Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry is essential reading for all students and future managers in the hospitality industry.
1. The rationale for sustainable development
2. Sustainable development and the hospitality industry
3. Energy management
4. Waste management
5. Water management
6. Eco-design and facilities development
7. Food security
8. Agriculture and sourcing
9. Sustainable food and beverage management
10. Responsible consumer behaviour
11. Accessibility in hospitality and tourism
12. Corporate social responsibility and social entrepreneurship
13. Responsible marketing and branding
14. Environmental management systems, sustainability performance and auditing
15. Certification processes and ecolabels
16. Investing, financing, performing and decision-making in sustainability
17. Internalising externalities and environmental accountability
18. Benchmarking, reporting and communicating sustainability
"The third edition of Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry: Principles of Sustainable Operations is the reference book available that introduces economic, environmental and social sustainability issues. Highly recommendable for those students and managers interested in exploring ideas, solutions and strategies about how to manage sustainable operations within the hospitality industry." - Miguel Ángel Gardetti, Director Center for Studies on Sustainable Luxury and Advisory Board Member Center for Study on Sustainable Hotels.
"The 3rd edition of the Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry provides insights into environmentally sustainable management in hospitality and tourism. Topics include social, economic and environmental issues hospitality and tourism industry leaders need to understand in order to develop effective sustainability strategies. Case studies are used the book to provide readers with real-world examples intended to better understand how solutions can be developed to meet challenges. As a hospitality and tourism management educator and a program liaison of the Florida Green Lodging Program, I am confident this book will benefit undergraduate and graduate students alike who are interested in developing and applying environmentally sustainable management practices to hospitality and tourism." - Po-Ju Chen, PhD. Associate Professor, Rosen College of Hospitality Management, University of Central Florida