Sustainability of Scholarly Information
- This format cannot be shipped to your selected country.
This is the first book to discuss the sustainable development of digital scholarly information in three key aspects: economic, social and environmental sustainability.
Taking as its starting point the premise that digital information systems and services form the backbone of a knowledge society and digital economy, this book explores the challenges of ensuring sustainability of information in an evolving digital world. Author Gobinda Chowdhury attempts to find answers to five key questions in the context of scholarly information systems and services:
- How sustainable are today's information systems and services?
- How can we ensure the sustainability of information throughout its lifetime?
- Can today's information systems and services face the new economic challenges while providing easy and equitable access to information for everyone?
- Can the level and quality of information services be sustained over a long period of time?
- Can all these activities be performed in an environment-friendly manner?
Chowdhury takes the approach of a research monograph based on literature review and meta-analysis of the issues and challenges associated with the various forms of sustainability of digital information systems and services. He proposes new models for study and research based on the critical analysis of developments in related areas.
Table of Contents
1. The sustainability of information: an outline 2. The three dimensions of sustainability 3. The economic sustainability of information 4. The environmental sustainability of information 5. The social sustainability of information 6. Printed vs digital content and sustainability issues 7. Open access models and the sustainability of information 8. Sustainable management of open access information: a conceptual model 9. Green information services: a conceptual model 10. Information access and sustainability issues 11. The sustainability of information models 12. Research on sustainable information.
Professor Gobinda Chowdhury BSc Hons, MSc, PhD, FCLIP is Professor in Information Science at [email protected], and Head of the Department of Mathematics and Information Sciences at Northumbria University.