Apple Academic Press
340 pages | 24 Color Illus. | 87 B/W Illus.
The study of the earth, energy, and the environment—together—is critical for gaining a thorough understanding of where life stands today amid the continuous growth and development around us. Understanding how the Earth has evolved and how its subsystems interact and influence various energy resources and impact the environment we live in is critical to sustaining of life on this planet. This volume is a comprehensive introductory book that looks at earth, energy, and the environment in an integrated manner that will lead to a thorough comprehension of and appreciation for the complex plant on which we live.
Sustainable Energy and Environment: An Earth System Approach provides a holistic understanding of earth, energy, and the environment through a careful selection of invited chapters. The book looks at Earth from the perspective of a livable planet and elaborates on surface and subsurface processes and the various energy cycles where energy is transformed and stored in the various spheres.
Part 1: Earth
1. Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition
Farha Sattar, Muhammad Nawaz, and Sandeep Narayan Kundu
2. Minerals and Rock-Forming Processes
Muhammad Nawaz, Farha Sattar, and Sandeep Narayan Kundu
3. Earth’s Energy Balance and Climate
Sandeep Narayan Kundu
4. Mass Extinctions on Earth
Sanghamitra Pradhan, Shreerup Goswami, and Sandeep Narayan Kundu
Part 2: Energy
5. Energy and Electricity
Sanjib Kumar Sahoo
6. Unconventional Fossil Fuels
Deepak Dash, Lokanath Peddinti, and Sandeep Narayan Kundu
7. Coal Seam Gas: Evaluation, Extraction and Environmental Issues
8. Minerals as Sources of Energy
Abani Ranjan Samal
9. Harvesting Energy from Wind
Sandeep Narayan Kundu and Munukutla Sruti Keerti
Part 3: The Environment
10. Environmental Impacts of Fossil Fuels
Satyabrata Nayak et al.
11. Geospatial Technology Applications in Environmental Disaster Management
Maher Ibrahim Sameen, Ratiranjan Jena, and Biswajeet Pradhan
12. Environmental Impacts of Renewable Energy
Nausheen Mazhar and Sahar Zia
13. Geological Influence on Surface Water Quality
Loo Mei Yee and Sandeep Narayan Kundu