Forage crops are an essential component of livestock’s diet. Production and availability of sufficiently good quality forage under diverse ecological dynamics are fundamental to develop an efficient and productive livestock industry.
Growers worldwide, especially in developing and underdeveloped countries, face significant challenges in producing sufficient winter fodder. The livestock population is increasing at high rates, and its feed requirement is increasing accordingly. Fodder crops are the leading and cheapest source of feed for livestock; however, the shortage of fodder production is the primary limiting factor for livestock production. This book features an extensive overview of literature providing information on winter fodders used in livestock management.
- Discusses breeding strategies of winter fodders through conventional approaches and biotechnology.
- Highlights production, agronomy, and bioecology of winter fodder crops.
- Provides comprehensive information on the ecological dynamics of winter fodders.
- Describes the use of precision agriculture for mitigating the effect of climate change on winter fodders.
- Relays challenges of winter fodder crops on account of microbes, toxins, pests, and diseases.
This book is written for researchers and practitioners in agronomy, biotechnology, bioecology and is a comprehensive guide for improving winter fodder production.
Part 1: Production technologies of winter fodders
1. Conventional Breeding Strategies and Programs for Winter Fodders
Siddra Ijaz, Ali Hassan Khan, and Muhammad Kaleem Sarwar
2. Bioecology and Agronomy of Winter Fodder Crops
Imran Khan et al.
3. Biotechnological Applications for Developing Resistance Against Biotic and Abiotic Stresses and Other Quality Traits in Fodder Crops
Siddra Ijaz et al.
Part 2: Ecological Dynamics and Winter Fodders
4. Medicago sativa: Diseases, Etiology, and Management
Nabeeha Aslam Khan et al.
5. Trifolium Species: Diseases, Etiology, and Management
Anjum Faraz et al.
6. Etiology and management of economically significant diseases of Avena sativa
Qaiser Shakeel et al.
7. Hordeum vulgare: Diseases, Etiology, and Management
Rana Muhammad Sabir Tariq et al.
8. Rapeseed and Mustard: Diseases, Etiology, and Management
Muhammad Zunair Latif et al.
9. Impact of Environmental and Edaphic Factors on Winter Fodders and Remedies
Zaffar Malik et al.
10. Application of Precision Agriculture: Mitigating the effect of Climate Change on Winter Fodders
Muhammad Kaleem Sarwar et al.
Part 3: Challenges of winter fodder crops
11. Winter Fodder: Opportunities and Challenges in Livestock
Saima Naveed, Usman Ali et al.
12. Microbial determinants in silage rotting: a challenge in winter fodders
Imran Ul Haq, M. Kaleem Sarwar and Zia Mohyuddin
13. Impact of pests on winter fodder preservation
Asadullah Azam and Sakhidad Saleem
14. Toxins of Preserved Fodders: A Threat to Livestock
Asad Manzoor et al.
15. Quality Seed Production of Winter Fodder Crops
Imran Khan et al.