Take a Stand! Classroom Activities That Explore Philosophical Arguments That Matter to Teens
Take a Stand! (grades 9-12) helps teens develop critical thinking skills by examining debates on issues directly relevant to their lives (that you won't find in most classroom materials). Each chapter:
- Covers an important topic relating to electronics, sex, mental health, and relationships.
- Presents a question for debate, such as "Should kids choose their own religion?" and "Is it possible to love more than one person?"
- Shows how each issue might arise in an ordinary teen conversation.
- Presents and explores two or more opposed answers to philosophical debates.
- Encourages high school students to develop their own positions while learning to appreciate other perspectives.
Throughout the book, the chapter contributors—all current or recent teens themselves—highlight key definitions, quote compelling sources, and diagram the central arguments. Each chapter includes discussion questions to guide arguments, as well as helpful sidebars and illustrations to increase comprehension. Perfect for inspiring classroom discussion of topics that matter to today's teens.