Teaching Primary Art is an introductory textbook for those training to teach and support learning in art in the primary school. The book first explores the underpinning philosophy and pedagogy of teaching and learning art, including why we teach it; planning and assessment; and teaching and support strategies. Then it covers the practical aspects of teaching art, including a list of useful vocabulary to encourage talk around art and links to cross-curricular learning.
1. Introduction to art in the primary school
2. The art curriculum in primary schools
3. Artists and art galleries
4. Planning and assessment
5. Teaching and supporting learning
10. Working in three dimensions
11. Threads, fabrics and textiles