Teaching Reading and Phonics to Children with Language and Communication Delay is an accessible and jargon-free book full of practical ideas for teaching the first stages of reading and phonics to children who have speech and language delay. Written by a bestselling author, this invaluable toolkit covers approaches to the teaching of reading for a variety of needs so that no child is left behind.
• a wide range of practical activities
• useful checklists at the end of each chapter for assessing progress and further planning
• links to example photo books to demonstrate how reading can be personalised and interactive
• tips for teaching reading and motivating children in their learning
• template material which can be photocopied and downloaded as eResources
Packed with helpful illustrations and examples that can be used in lessons, this book offers a variety of methods of teaching reading, including an emphasis on visual strategies which are well suited to children with language delay and complex communication needs. Clear explanations and step-by-step instructions mean the book can be used by parents as well as non-specialist teachers and teaching assistants, and the book will be ideal reading for any educators working with young children to improve their literacy.
Table of Contents
- Pre-reading skills
- Recognition of early words in print
- Personalised Photo books
- Story books as reading focus
- Reading schemes and high frequency words
- Teaching phonics using visual methods
- Comprehension and inference
- Creating an individual reading programme
Charlotte Lynch is a support and advisory teacher for deaf children with many years’ experience of teaching children with a wide range of communication needs. She is the author of Early Communication Skills.