Teaching Reading and Phonics to Children with Language and Communication Delay is an accessible and jargon-free book full of practical ideas for teaching the first stages of reading and phonics to children who have speech and language delay. Written by a bestselling author, this invaluable toolkit covers approaches to the teaching of reading for a variety of needs so that no child is left behind.
• a wide range of practical activities
• useful checklists at the end of each chapter for assessing progress and further planning
• links to example photo books to demonstrate how reading can be personalised and interactive
• tips for teaching reading and motivating children in their learning
• template material which can be photocopied and downloaded as eResources
Packed with helpful illustrations and examples that can be used in lessons, this book offers a variety of methods of teaching reading, including an emphasis on visual strategies which are well suited to children with language delay and complex communication needs. Clear explanations and step-by-step instructions mean the book can be used by parents as well as non-specialist teachers and teaching assistants, and the book will be ideal reading for any educators working with young children to improve their literacy.
Download the eResource files