Apple Academic Press
361 pages | 24 Color Illus. | 54 B/W Illus.
The new volume looks at some important emerging food processing technologies in light of the demand for functional food products and high-value and nutritionally rich products. Technologies for Value Addition in Food Products and Processes covers a selection of important recent developments in food processing that work to enrich or maintain nutritional value of food products, including such applications as non-thermal plasma, refractance window drying, extrusion, enzyme immobilization, and dry fractionation.
Dry fractionation, in particular, has emerged as a sustainable alternative to wet processes in last three decades for producing protein concentrates from legumes. Several chapters on fish processing cover both traditional knowledge and advances in fish processing technologies. A chapter on bioethanol production discusses the past and present status of the industry, focusing on economic feasibility and environmental viability. A chapter also discusses traditional fermentation process and nutritional aspects of ethnic foods followed by the Rabha-Hasong, Mishing and Karbi communities of Assam, India.
With the contribution from experts in their respective fields, this volume provides new information on novel food processing technologies.
1. Rheology: A Tool to Predict Quality of Foods
Mamta Bhardwaj, Renuka Singh, and D. C. Saxena
2. Food Extrusion Technology and Products
3. Non-Thermal Plasma (NTP) Applications for Food Decontamination Technology
R. V. Prasad et al.
4. Refractance Window Drying and Its Applications in Food Processing
K. S. Yoha et al.
5. Enzyme Immobilization in Food and Agriculture: Principles, Practices, and Future Prospects
Mitali Madhumita and Pramod K. Prabhakar
6. Aonla: Composition, Medicinal Properties, Processing, and Food Applications
Parveen Kumari and B. S. Khatkar
7. Traditional Technology of Fish Preservation in Northeast India
R. K. Majumdar
8. Advances in Fish Processing Technology
R. K. Majumdar
9. Nutritional Values and Processing of Tropical Tuber Crops
B. K. Sakhale and Namrata A. Giri
10. Bioethanol Fermentation: The Path Forward for Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Development
Binita Dev, Abdelrahman Saleh Zaky, and R. Jayabalan
11. Traditional Fermentation by the Rabha-Hasong, Mishing, and Karbi Communities of Assam and Prospects of Value Addition for Enhancement of Nutritional Qualities in Ethnic Foods
Hridip Kumar Sarma and Deep Prakash Parasar
12. Rice Protein: Properties, Extraction, and Applications in Food Formulation
Neeraj Ghanghas et al.
13. Application of Natural Biopolymer Films as Edible Coatings on Cut Fruits and Vegetables
Aradhita Barmanray and Indu Bharti
14. Dry Fractionation of Legumes
Snehasis Chakraborty and Chandrima Shrivastava