280 pages | 1 B/W Illus.
In a world grappling with refugee crisis, political unrest and economies on the verge of collapse, temporary migration has become an increasingly common phenomenon.
This volume presents a comprehensive picture of the transformative and development potential of temporary transnational migration in political, legal, economic, social and cultural aspects.
This volume will be indispensable to scholars and researchers of development studies, international politics, international relations, migration and diaspora studies, public policy, sociology and social anthropology. It will also be of importance to government think tanks and non-governmental organisations working in these areas.
Kerstin Schmidt and Mustafa Aksakal
1. Temporary Migration and Related Policy Issues in a Globalised China
Tian Fangmeng and Hu Xiaojiang
2. Characteristics and Development Impact of Temporary Migration: The Case of India
S. Irudaya Rajan and Kartik Yadav
3. Temporary Migration in the Philippines: Changes and Constants in This Continuing Saga
Maruja M. B. Asis, Graziano Battistella and Karen Anne S. Liao
4. Temporary Migration in Thailand: Impacts, Challenges and Policy Implications
Sureeporn Punpuing, Sakkarin Niyomsilpa, Manasigan Kanchanachitra and Pattraporn Chuenglertsiri
5. Transformative Characteristics and Developmental Impacts of Temporary Migration to and through Turkey
İlke Şanlıer Yüksel, Ahmet İçduygu and Evin Millet
6. Temporary Migrants and Refugees in Greece: Transformative Challenges
Konstantinos Tsitselikis and Georgios Agelopoulos
7. Temporary Migration Influence – The Case of Hungary: Curbed Transformation and Development in a Transit Country
8. Characteristics and Development Impact of Temporary Migration: The Case of Ukraine
Petro Chorniy, Ihor Markov, Svitlana Odynets, Danylo Sudyn and Ganna Zaremba-Kosovych
9. Transformative Characteristics and Development Outcomes of Temporary Asian Migration to Germany
Mustafa Aksakal and Kerstin Schmidt
10. Temporary Migration in the Netherlands: Contradictory Policies and Ambiguous Effects
11. Characteristics and Development Impact of Temporary Migration: The Case of Finland
Mari Korpela, Jaakko Hyytiä and Pirkko Pitkänen
Conclusion: Challenges and Future Prospects of Temporary Transnational Migration
Pirkko Pitkänen and Tomoko Hayakawa