Designed to be used on its own or as a companion volume to the American Cities and Technology textbook. Chronologically, this volume ranges from the earliest technological dimensions of Amerindian settlements to the 'wired city' concept of the 1960s and internet communications of the 1990s.Its focus extends beyond the US to include telecommunications in Asian cities in the late 20th century. The topics covered:
* the rise of the skyscraper
* the coming of the automobile age
* relations between private and public transport
* the development of infrastructural technologies and systems
* the implications of electronic communications
* the emergence of city planning.